Video Files on Forum ×

DAL file - transferred to computer

I have followed the manual instructions for "Using a Computer to Copy General Song Data to a USB Flash Drive" and the DAL file is now on my laptop.

I have the CASIO DataManager for CT-X software on my laptop.

Now what? The software has no way of opening the DAL file. I was expecting to be able to use the data on my computer.

Thanks.

Derek

Hi Derek.  The DAL file is designed to backup all of the user data in your CTX.  It can be reloaded into the keyboard whenever you need it.  The data manager software is designed for transferring CTX files between a computer and your keyboard, for backup purposes.  Was there anything in particular you're looking to do?

MIDI recorder songs can be converted to Standard MIDI Files (SMF) using a USB flash drive.  Connect a flash drive to the keyboard flash drive port. Press the function button>media>save>MltR SMF.  This will convert 16 solo tracks to SMF, or will convert the system track to SMF.  If a song contains both system track and solo tracks, only the solo tracks will convert, since a MIDI file only has space for 16 tracks.  For details on saving data, see page EN-119 of the CTX3000/5000 user manual.  Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Dear Brad,

What I am currently doing with the keyboard is recording accompaniments in order that I can play along with my flute.

One of the transferred files missed a track even although it sounded correct on the CTx5000. I ended up just playing the keyboard recording via the headphone outlet directly onto an mp3 recorder, and then transferring it to the computer for further transfer to iTunes > ipod > p.a. (It's a scutter of a process.) By doing this I was able to increase the tempo on the playback, the accompaniment being too much for me to play at real speed.

Is there a way to play varying speed on the ct-x5000? Rallentendo, ritardo, a tempo etc.

Thanks.

Derek

On the far right of the keyboard control panel, just above the keys, there is a bank of 12 buttons arranged in 2 rows of 6.  The top row of 6 buttons are smaller than the bottom 6 buttons. That top row has the tempo buttons, they're the second and third buttons counting from the left.  

9 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

On the far right of the keyboard control panel, just above the keys, there is a bank of 12 buttons arranged in 2 rows of 6.  The top row of 6 buttons are smaller than the bottom 6 buttons. That top row has the tempo buttons, they're the second and third buttons counting from the left.  

Thanks, Brad.

Yes, I know these for changing the overall tempo. I'd like to vary the tempo within a song.

Thanks.

Derek

31 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

As you're recording a song using the system track, tempo changes will be recorded as well.  Using the tempo buttons while recording will record tempo changes.  This is really the only way using the keyboard itself.

That makes sense, Brad.

I was concerned that the machine would "correct" my playing and put the note into the closest space. This might give an interesting end result but would make correction difficult. Even without the metronome on I see the machine counting the bars/measures. Maybe I have the 5000 mixed up with another keyboard - because I did look at a few (online) before finally choosing.

My current method on how I can best make use of the 16-track recording is to use the system track for the introduction (4 bars, 8 bars, 2 bars, depending on the type of music) then record the bass (left hand track 1), then the right hand accompaniment (perhaps another tone track 2), and finally add a decorative duet section if desired.

I will also try, depending on the style, to record the intro to the system track, then add the tune - and then use that as a guide to speed changes throughout the piece. 

A related query is when I "punch in" to correct blunders. I find that the bar following the one that I have worked on will become blank. I therefore re-record the whole track from that point onward.

best wishes

Derek