Video Files on Forum ×

Space Dude Leftovers! Yum!

YouTube description:

I had 8 minutes of leftover stuff from a “practice tape” that seemed pretty fun so I slapped together this vid to go with it. Even this 9 minutes took 3 weeks to make, messing with it a couple hours every morning. Dayum, y’all, this stuff is hard! Hopefully you’ll chuckle as Space Dude tries to get his new band up and running.

This stuff takes place after SD, Ruby and B.B. return to Marama after kicking evil tail on Velnias (stardate 40:30:92). The trio are rehearsing the Transponder 43 tune you might remember from SD episodes 2 and 3. The big show is just a few hours away and they still haven’t decided on a band name! Things get a little heated between SD (a.k.a. Zaphod Beeblebrox III) and Ruby. Never anger a transmorph, man! When they do some shape shiftin’ you better run! Luckily for Zaphod B.B. arrives just in time to prevent a mauling. B.B.’s been out on the tiles with his best bud Fred the former bleephole who’s heart was transformed by the love of a bug. Sounds crazy...but it’s true! As seen in episode 9.

SD likes to run a tight ship and he doesn’t approve of B.B.’s laid-back attitude towards the band. Man, you gotta work hard to succeed and get what you want...so says Zaphod. But B.B. knows hard work doesn’t always yield the results you crave. Maybe it will, maybe it won’t. No sense in going through your life all uptight, man. Just do what you want, do it as best you can, and what happens happens, man. Que sera, baby. Zaphod’s attitude reminds B.B. of a skit by The Kids In The Hall about the band Armada. Zaphod has never seen any Canadian tv shows so Ruby and B.B. like to befuddle him with that arcane reference.

You hear some strange stuff at 1:15? No, you’re not hearing voices in your head, that’s some ZBS Ruby that I taped off the radio in the 80’s. Later I bought the tapes from ZBS Foundation (check ‘em out at zbs.org) then taped over the old radio recordings. The erase head obviously failed there. Sounds like the last episode of Ruby in The Underworld wherein Ruby, Kapoor and T.J. Teru have just been...well, that’s another story, somebody else’s. Back to mine…

At 3:15 I engage in more hand acting, like seen previously in SD episode 9. That’s right, those are my mitts in those gloves! I’m an official hand actor now! I’m now a member of SAG-AFTRA and everything, seriously! I’m playing the part of B.B.’s insect limbs in Professor Frink’s new-fangled Magic Fingers mechanical gloves which allows the fingerly challenged among us to enjoy the full digital experience of life. How can you pick your nose when you’re a bug? Or if you just have flippers? Well, now you can! Thank you, Frinky Inc.! That’s my ol’ Casio CT-390 I’m poking at and you’re listening to. The 390 isn’t a double keyboard. I joined it together with my Yamaha PSR-190, so that’s why you see two ‘boards.

SD is less than impressed with B.B.’s awkward key poking. Disappointed...but polite. Then Ruby whacks the skins, with some inspiration from the patron saint of rock drummers John (Bonzo) Bonham. But of course people don’t go to a rock show to hear keyboards and drums! They want...THE ELEKTRIK GEETAR! Yeah, baby! Zaphod shows off his mighty power chord lift off, sure to wow the crowd. While he’s in orbit he samples some hallucinagenic light rays from a space jellyfish. The jellies use that to escape from predators but some folks like to chase ‘em down just to get a hit off ‘em! Hoo-wee, that’s some potent stuff, man! You be singin’ a happy tune all day after them rays get all up in yo’ brain!

I’ll have to decipher some geek-speak for you that you encounter in the SD series. At 7 minutes you see something described as being “totally Planck”. Meaning it’s “totally extreme”. Named after Max Planck who dealt with quantum extremeness. In previous SD episodes you see that “what the quark?!” is the polite alternative to “what the f*ck?!”. And when somebody tells you that they are “sure as Schrodinger” about something they are leaving themselves some quantum wiggle room in their answer to your query. Their answer, like everything in the universe, is subject to the equations formulated by Erwin Schrodinger.

You might remember The Armada Of Death, the bleephole army of meanies seen in part 9. Well, ex-bleephole Fred turns that around and comes up with The Armada Of Love for the band’s name. The trio loves it and off they sail with their heart sails billowing in the wind of luv! Their power trio is the hit of the show and their rock and roll fantasy begins! A record company agent from Rigel 7 zips up to them in his HoverCaddy and offers them a 5 million noogie recording contract! So many noogies! He offers them some fine Rigellian cigars and...well, you know the rest of the story.

Hey, fellow astronuts! Wanna have some cosmic fun? Create some cool space tunez and a totally Planck name for your band then post a link to your vid here in the comments! Your band will be part of the benefit concert seen by gazillions of groovy alien types! Rock the universe, man!