Video Files on Forum ×

Increase Headphone Volume

Tom_CH

Hi everybody

I love the PX-S1000 very much. For practicing I usually use headphones. Now I have bought new ones (AKG K712 PRO, 62 Ohm), which sound incredibly airy and neutral. Only the maximum volume is only just enough. From time to time I would like to turn up the volume a bit.

I know that there are laws that regulate the maximum volume of headphone outputs. Therefore I assume that the limitation of the maximum volume is intentional.

Is there any way (at my own risk) to increase the maximum volume? In the settings or inside the unit?

Many thanks & best regards
Tom

• 2 weeks later...

712s, nice! The higher end cans are sometimes not as efficient with the Casios, designed for pro impedance matching with mixing consoles/recording etc-although i get plenty of volume with the older studio monitor AKG 301's, but not as loud as others I use. I made a stereo headphone amp-a little involved but a good stereo headphone amp can be had for not too much money. II did this because my original K240s with 600 ohm impedance -the older Austrian design, not the new cheaper Chinese AKG240s-are unusable (no volume) with any of my Casios-are meant to go straight to matching older stereo equipment or mixing boards, but sound excellent with a headphone amp.

Another possible way to get the headphones louder-if you have a home stereo amp/receiver-just patch the Casio into the amp line inputs-it will match up the headsets with whatever is connected-or a small stereo mixer/recorder can do the same. Even an older stereo cassette 2/4 track recorders like the older Tascams, Fostex, Yamahas, if you have one laying around, will work to boost the headsets since you can control the input level sensitivity for recording. Most older cassette decks/multitrack casette recorders will match even the higher impedance headsets, at least in my experience.

The lower impedance cans (may) lose a little sparkle on the high end with the Casios-optimum budget phones IMO (I have 2 sets now) are the Superlux HD681's not the EVOs which were not as positively reviewed as the plain 681's-a bit heavy on the bass which can always be cut-but very efficient with all the Casios, especially the acoustic pianos, headbands are lightweight and comfortable. All are 32 ohms, so plenty of volume, and no loss on the high frequencies.  Also have a pair of Superlux HD668-different headband but sound pretty much identical to the 681's. Samson makes roughly the same model-SR850 as the Superlux  HD68. i have those too, I have to do alot of my playing and monitoring through headsets around the house, if i want to stay married!