Video Files on Forum ×

Surprise! ... now it's staccato

Cassioplaya

I recorded some tracks, and one has become staccato.

I am currently using the CT-X5000 to record accompaniments in order that I can play along with my flute. I cannot play the pieces for piano fast enough so am making use of the metronome function. Here's what I do:-

1. Choose the piece. Could I learn the flute part? Can I play the piano part? Can I play the piano part slowly and with individual hands?
  2. Try the piano part and select an achievable speed.
  3. Record system track for 2 bars or for an introduction. When it comes to performance, this is the only section which needs to be re-recorded at real speed.
  4. Track 1 can be the tune if required.
  5. Track 2 is the bass.
  6. Track 3 is the treble.
  7. Track 4 is that complicated middle section, bars 51-55, where track 3 bars are cleared.

That's the back story. I'm learning about the instrument and I am re-learning the English language. Overwrite has become punch-in, for example.

I then play the piece through the headphone outlet onto an mp3 recorder, where I can adjust the volume of the accompaniment according to the score. 

I recorded an accompaniment for "The Swan" by Saint-Saëns and was surprised that the treble had become staccato. Some cutting and pasting had occurred in order to correct blunders; I don't remember what. Attached are the ruined piece and the correct piece with the re-recorded track 2.

I can add the midi files if desired.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Derek

The Swan - piano.MP3 The Swan - staccato.MP3

Hi, Brad.

I have no idea. I only discovered it when I played back to record the external mp3.

It's not the first time that this has occurred. Previously, I've punch-in-ed halfway through a track and the start of the track became staccato. It's happened probably about 6 times now. It causes a lot of extra work/angst trying to figure out what I pressed and shouldn't have pressed, but it does mean that I play the track on the keyboard more often - so I'm getting more piano-type practise. ☺

If I'm not on the first beat of the bar which I am overwriting then that first note will be staccato, as if it's part new note and part old note.

best wishes

Derek

On 6/18/2020 at 5:49 PM, Brad Saucier said:

Do you remember exactly what you did just before it became staccato?

It's the punch-in function !

I have just edited another accompaniment, towards the end of a short piece. The beginning has become corrupted, where I definitely wasn't working and the whole track is unusable. It has happened on two tracks because I edited the wrong track first, corrected it, then edited the intended track. Track 2 and 3 both have to be re-recorded.

Derek

3 hours ago, jose antonio tafalla blas said:

Another bug? Editing a song by punch in shouldn't corrupt anything. It does not seem to work correctly.

Yup! All that work and suddenly it's weird.

It actually produced an interesting effect this time; the guitar voice that I was using sounded like plucked/muted at the same time, like a plucked violin. Unfortunately, if I can't control it, it's a piece of junk.

Once I have recorded the last song onto my mp3 recorder and taken the midi file onto my computer, I will see about resetting the machine to factory settings - and see what happens.

Derek

So far, so good.

I recorded a new song, sys track and track 1. I then copied the song to another register so that I didn't risk corrupting it. Punch-in bars/measures towards the end of track 1 and the start of the track did not become corrupted. Hoorah !

User error. I have now played this particular accompaniment so many times that I can play it without the need to cheat with multi-track recording. However, I am finding the keys difficult to work with. They are too sensitive and then too insensitive. I have had to repeat bars/ replace bars due to 2 issues with the keys. They are either too light or too heavy depending on which finger is playing at which point on the note. The leverage means that I must exert more pressure on the key if I am nearer the "fallboard"; this leads to a louder and clumsy note. I have also been guilty of adding grace-notes when I have brushed past a black note. I know that it's because it is a keyboard and it's not trying to mimic a piano.

With all this chopping and changing, I have learned that my notes had better be exactly in time. If not, there is a strong possibility that I shall have a stutter. Let's say that I wish to replace bar 41 with a corrected bar 41 which I played after the end of the piece. If the first note of my original bar 41 started before the down-beat I will have that fractional note before the bar-line followed by the new note exactly on time (because it is played independently), so I should be replacing bar 40 and 41 - and so on.

best wishes

Derek

• 2 months later...

Song sequencer casio contains a step-by-step event editor. It is certainly not that advanced, but you can always delete the wrong note and insert another note, you can also adjust the duration. and in the same place you can adjust the volume of the note (velocity). For me it is easier and faster than re-recording and inserting the recording every time.

1 hour ago, casio_style said:

Song sequencer casio contains a step-by-step event editor. It is certainly not that advanced, but you can always delete the wrong note and insert another note, you can also adjust the duration. and in the same place you can adjust the volume of the note (velocity). For me it is easier and faster than re-recording and inserting the recording every time.

I really appreciate your input. Thank you. ☺

I looked at that section of the manual and became overwhelmed with the jargon. I should persevere !

best wishes

Derek