Video Files on Forum ×

Big Bluzzo on SK76 vs. PX560

I am working on a project trying to recreate some of my past work done with my GEM keyboards on my PX560-if you listen to this composition, you will hear a few instruments which will be challenging and i am open to ideas re programming on the PX560. The jazz flute for one, the mute trumpet I can catch on the PX560-there is (finally) a Casio tonewheel organ on this i can duplicate but the soprano sax not quite there. And this is another reason i have tried to create several of my own PX560 kits-trying to get that full deep resonant percussion sound the SK was capable of.

This was Miles inspired piece I did back in the 90s with my old long gone GEM SK76-which tones are also on my still working Equinox. The SK had some killer drum kits and had a real nice deep bottom end, but i think I can dupe this with the PX560. I don't own one, but I am guessing these types of tones are somewhat like Casio is after with the newer CTX series.

Big Bluzzo.mp3

Ooh, I like that cog rattle sound (and the entire piece).  Very cool!  I could have used that exact rattle for my Alan Parsons cover of Don't Answer Me a while back.  The PX560 has a cog rattle in the drum kits, but yours sounds really good.

Thanks-that's the Generalmusic SK76, the "vibroslap" is perhaps a little overdone-I just created a loop for the bass, drums and piano in a bit of a twisted blues structure-and just had fun jamming over that with the killer flute and soprano sax. I think it was also one of the first to have the "chicklet" style keys in a spring-action 'board, very nice to play on. 

The vibroslap in the 560 not quite as pronounced, but close. Big part of the reason I started paying attention to Casio several years back-was seeing some Casio innovations these Generalmusic geniuses had put into their now gone instruments. The XW drawbars in particular reminded me of the drawbar functionality in my SK76 and Equinox-the entire concept of hex layers almost exactly mimics the 8 drawbars these instruments had, which controlled d*** near everything these keyboards could do, including programming your own custom sets of control. If there was a CC message that could do it, these drawbars could. Also-the Leslie speed and percussion buttons on the XW-Equinox technology right there. The only drawback-the arrangement of DSP possibilities is so immense on these-I still have not quite figured out how it all works on the Equinox years later. Actually functions as 2 completely independent keyboards-one for up to 16-layer "performances" and another for 16 channel sequencer/midi control, with separate mulit-DSPs for each, and individual sounds for each-in other words, you could create a huge 16-layer performance and play it on top of the 16 track sequencer sounds. The sequencer can be set up with a multi-level dsp arrangement-but your "performance" can have a totally different arrangement-as if you had half dozen insert effects going at the same time-could create quite a bit of feedback but can also sound unrecognizable on this planet anyway! We have a celebrity here (shameless promo!) who was the Generalmusic go to guy back then which I find really nice to see. .He now has a PX560. I'll leave it at that!

Sounds cool actually, I've watched a few GEM SK video's certainly inspiring to recreate something of those sound on the PX5S as well.

Its not similar probably what i'm going to ask if you've used that on the PX560  but those keyboard had parametric  EQ and bass boost as MFX for that bottom

sound does the PX560 also have that as the PX5S does with EQ , Chorus and Compressor.

I've recently moderately using it and it improves lots of the stages created. 

Was surprised these keyboard supported a variety of sample format guess i've stepped way to late in the game another thing ive missed. 

Yes it did-compression, parametric eq-globally and per sound or performance. Quite a bit of sound modification was possible just using DSP on these GEM keyboards. Samples-I installed the 32MB sample ram which was the max it could take plus it had another 2 or 8MB DRAM chip option for samples and the OS-but yes, was able to not only read a variety of sample formats, It saved samples 2 ways-in DRAM which samples were saved when powering down, and in SIMM RAM, which did not save samples when powered down-a strange approach, but you could choose where to save your samples. .Also had a full sample translator (editor) built in. If the Equinox fails, I'd get another even this many years later, and i still might get a replacement SK if I could find one, mine went bad and no parts replacement without an engineering degree!

One of the best effects I've found on the PX560-is the "reflections" DSP. I wouldn't think so-as this effect i thought would be more towards ambience or reverb-but surprisingly it clarifies and enhances, especially the piano tones in th ePX560, even more so than the "enhancer" effect. 

9 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

One of the best effects I've found on the PX560-is the "reflections" DSP. I wouldn't think so-as this effect i thought would be more towards ambience or reverb-but surprisingly it clarifies and enhances, especially the piano tones in th ePX560, even more so than the "enhancer" effect. 

Yes same here I"ve started to use it a while ago cause I didn't understand how one of the sound Mike did was doing it  when I discovered it was early reflection.

It can even be used to give space among a few sounds I've tried it on all zones but that was getting to much but I love the way it gives space to a sound.