Video Files on Forum ×

USB on5000

baz66

I might have done wrong here.I had to replace my 20yo technics kn 6000 for gigs at nursing homes and I need to play some midi files thru it.The 5000 seemed to fill the bill.I cannot get the mounting sign when I plug in the flash.After following the manual steps, I get err no file sign.The midis are mid 0 type and play fine on my korg 3x but it maybe that the casio cannot do this. I had some advice that the 5000 will only play mid type 1 but I think this may be wrong.Anyone else with probs along this line?😝

It seem that browsing the manual is not enough.There is no need to use function.Just song bank button and after usb stops flashing,the songs are in the song memory 41 to49.I'm getting more impressed with this machine as I learn how it works.Of course,the tones and rhythms are casio grade but much improved from earlir (and cheaper) models.At 12.5 pounds, I can carry it easily in the NH and the speakers are quite acceptable.The usb itself appears to only be used when material is wished to be saved and either edited with a program on comp or reloades at a later date.I'm now glad I replaced my old KB with this one.Well done casio

Now my problem is changing the tones in the playback in the song bank.Can this be done? the manual is not very helpful.I can change the volume but not the sounds.There must be a way.Sounds bad with GM tones

Yes, it is possible to edit the file and change the program change data for each track.  The CT-X appendix has a tone list with the appropriate bank and program change data needed.  Patch scripts make selecting tones even easier and are available for a number of popular software editors.  https://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=2306

Patch Scripts (Instrument Definition Files) are just a convenience, not an absolute necessity.  Most DAW/sequencers allow you to enter the MSB/LSB (Bank Select) and Program Change (PC) codes manually for each track in the file.  I know Anvil Studio does.  For instance, if you want the CTX-5000 panel voice Grand Piano, instead of the GM Grand Piano, you need only look up the Bank Select and Program Change codes for the panel voice Grand Piano in the CTX-5000 Appendix and plug them into the appropriate track on your DAW/sequencer, and you will have it.

On 7/4/2020 at 7:50 AM, - T - said:

Patch Scripts (Instrument Definition Files) are just a convenience, not an absolute necessity.  Most DAW/sequencers allow you to enter the MSB/LSB (Bank Select) and Program Change (PC) codes manually for each track in the file.  I know Anvil Studio does.  For instance, if you want the CTX-5000 panel voice Grand Piano, instead of the GM Grand Piano, you need only look up the Bank Select and Program Change codes for the panel voice Grand Piano in the CTX-5000 Appendix and plug them into the appropriate track on your DAW/sequencer, and you will have it.

Hello this sounds interesting. I switched from Repaer to Cakewalk as the CTX patch files was not available. Can you please explain how to lookup the Bank select and program change codes in DAW if there is no patch files provided by Casio ? 

On 7/5/2020 at 2:16 AM, r_1159 said:

Can you please explain how to lookup the Bank select and program change codes in DAW if there is no patch files provided by Casio ? 

If you have a patch script (Instrument Definition) file, then the DAW will fill-in those settings for each track, when you select the instrument (tone) for that track.  If you do not have a patch script, then you look up those settings in the keyboard's Tone List (in the CTX-5000's Appendix publication), and manually enter them into the appropriate data fields for each track in the DAW's Track or Mixer view.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, - T - said:

If you have a patch script (Instrument Definition) file, then the DAW will fill-in those settings for each track, when you select the instrument (tone) for that track.  If you do not have a patch script, then you look up those settings in the keyboard's Tone List (in the CTX-5000's Appendix publication), and manually enter them into the appropriate data fields for each track in the DAW's Track or Mixer view. 

Thanks for the reply. Are you referring to the following table?  I remember in reaper there was a section where user can insert program change and other codes to get specific tone. Can you upload a screen shot of the software where the information is inserted ?  I use cakewalk because the patch file for cakewalk is provided on Casio website. I personally stopped using song CTX song recorder after working with cakewalk. Next photo shows casio tones in cakewalk.

image.thumb.png.4cce9a484fc94c266010f12e4ed13b6a.png

image.thumb.png.43e7243435e115ffe9a90dc05f9f3737.png

On 7/7/2020 at 5:34 PM, r_1159 said:

Are you referring to the following table? 

Yes!  In the Tone List portion of the table, Column 4 is the Program Change and Column 5 is the Bank Select MSB for each of the liisted Tones.  These are the numbers you will plug into each of the tracks in your DAW to select those Tones (instruments).  Most of the Casio boards do not use an LSB for Bank Select.

On 7/7/2020 at 5:34 PM, r_1159 said:

Can you upload a screen shot of the software where the information is inserted ? 

I currently do not have a system that will run the BandLab version of Cakewalk.  At the moment, I am down to this 32 bit Windows 7 laptop, that I upgraded from XP some years ago, and my big Vista desktop, that I use for my studio work.  BandLab Cakewlk will not run on either of those.  BandLab Cakewalk is based on the original Cakewalk's last offering - "Sonar".  The screen layouts in Sonar changed drastically from previous versions, so even if I sent a screenshot from my older version, it would be totally meaningless to you.  It would not look like anything you would see in BandLab Cakewalk.  I suggest you familiarize yourself with the BandLab Cakewalk user guide - look for topics like "assign Bank Select and Program Change to tracks" or "insert Bank Select and Program Change".  Both the new and old Cakewalk forums, and YouTube, may be of some help.

Good luck!

- T -

• Like 1