Video Files on Forum ×

Possible equipment failure - how do people prepare?

jaspeter

This started as a question from a different thread, but it seems appropriate to ask it alone: What are some of the ways people prepare for equipment failure before a gig?

I have only one PX-5S, and many of the aspects of my performance depend on functions the PX-5S has. Or, it depends on setups I have made specifically for this keyboard. If it poops out before a show, I am completely lost.

Having a second PX-5S is a possibility, but it requires significantly more money, and moderately more storage space.

Originally, I thought that maybe I should give up my PX-5S and find a different solution, but that's starting to seem excessive. I mean, this can't be a new or unique problem, right? How do you prepare for a possible equipment issue?

I think it entirely depends on funds. A musician with sufficient wealth would have backup instrument, amplifier, etc etc. If that's out of your budget it's fingers crossed and one of those calamities that becomes an anecdote afterwards. If there were sufficient time, you could hire a replacement for the night. One alternative might be to have a cheap MIDI controller keyboard that can run a software synth off a laptop, tablet or even phone, which means you can at least make a noise and compensate for the lack of features for the performance.

It's also going to depend on whether you're part of an ensemble or a soloist. The only ultimate way to cover this is to have a total backup of all your hardware.

I never did a gig with only one keyboard-I looked at my set lists, made sure I had at least almost identical sounds on 2 boards-not necessarily the exact same keyboards-but  for every hook and solo i needed to cover-I usually needed 2 different sounds up at the same time anyway-and i did have keys go out sometimes-especially with questionable AC power in many clubs, or due to lighting setups-lighting in a club can cause tremendous electrical interference with computer-driven keyboards-which include everything except an old Hammond or tine piano! I also had good tripplite power filters/supplies to try to keep the AC clean-and to prevent power surges and sags-which can do real damage to a keyboard, if not immediately-I almost destroyed a Yamaha SY77 like this on one gig alone, can cause electrical damage that will show up sooner or later. And also have a bagful of audio cables-in case my amp setup (I always used a powered mixer head of my own) failed, i could patch into the house system if they let me, or the band's PA in an emergency if we had enough inputs. In addition, for the Casios, I have 12v portable battery setups for the Casio keys that don't take batteries-I can run the PX560 off a 12V regulated lithium-ion pack, as can the PX350. If I am really shaky about power in a venue-I'll even take a 12V marine battery with a power inverter with AC outlets, but not usually. 

7 hours ago, IanB said:

I think it entirely depends on funds. A musician with sufficient wealth would have backup instrument, amplifier, etc etc. If that's out of your budget it's fingers crossed and one of those calamities that becomes an anecdote afterwards. If there were sufficient time, you could hire a replacement for the night. One alternative might be to have a cheap MIDI controller keyboard that can run a software synth off a laptop, tablet or even phone, which means you can at least make a noise and compensate for the lack of features for the performance.

It's also going to depend on whether you're part of an ensemble or a soloist. The only ultimate way to cover this is to have a total backup of all your hardware.

The software as a backup is an interesting idea. I use the onboard phrase sequencer a lot, which would probably be my biggest loss if the PX-5S went out. But plenty of software solutions seem ideal for loops... Hmmm... Maybe if I record any repeating phrases and use a software looper as a backup. That wouldn't take up any more physical space in the house for storage, and I already have a computer. It might do in a pinch.

Your comment about "you can at least make noise" has me thinking about another alternative in which I just re-style the hectic electronic versions into an acoustic version for backups. I'm not sure I'm good enough to pull that off without it turning into a cheesy lounge act, but if it's done well, it could work. I have some leeway, since it's not really a band act. For now, I mostly cover instrumentation behind a singer.

For that matter, I could record the entire track as a backup and "fake it" if the keyboard died. That whole concept makes me cringe just thinking about it, but not as much as bailing on a gig because my keyboard died. It would be an extreme measure!

Good discussion!

1 hour ago, Jokeyman123 said:

I never did a gig with only one keyboard-I looked at my set lists, made sure I had at least almost identical sounds on 2 boards-not necessarily the exact same keyboards-but  for every hook and solo i needed to cover-I usually needed 2 different sounds up at the same time anyway-and i did have keys go out sometimes-especially with questionable AC power in many clubs, or due to lighting setups-lighting in a club can cause tremendous electrical interference with computer-driven keyboards-which include everything except an old Hammond or tine piano! I also had good tripplite power filters/supplies to try to keep the AC clean-and to prevent power surges and sags-which can do real damage to a keyboard, if not immediately-I almost destroyed a Yamaha SY77 like this on one gig alone, can cause electrical damage that will show up sooner or later. And also have a bagful of audio cables-in case my amp setup (I always used a powered mixer head of my own) failed, i could patch into the house system if they let me, or the band's PA in an emergency if we had enough inputs. In addition, for the Casios, I have 12v portable battery setups for the Casio keys that don't take batteries-I can run the PX560 off a 12V regulated lithium-ion pack, as can the PX350. If I am really shaky about power in a venue-I'll even take a 12V marine battery with a power inverter with AC outlets, but not usually. 

I have worried about the electrical issues. I only have a cheap circuit tester and a decently solid surge protector, but it seems that something more pro is warranted. These are good ideas. I'll have to look into Tripplite. 

That's a good point about taking two keyboards, too.  As IanB said above, "you can at least make some noise". And your comment about them not having to be the same gives me cause for thought. I could buy exactly the same make and model and have an identical backup, or I could branch out and try something new. If prepared correctly, they could both be sufficiently redundant.

And you mention a super-easy backup that I haven't been exercising... I should just buy a package or two of batteries to take with me!

Not under warranty by Casio-use at your own risk-but I have posts somewhere around here about a few of the newer, well-made power packs-more designed for tablets and smartphones-but I have found at least one that puts out enough amperage and lasts for an hour or 2, good for backup.  I'll try to post a picture-this has a 9v-12v switch, is very well made and has been very reliable so far, a year in.

I found my favorite power pack-I only see it on Ama**** n although I got mine on eB***lala.

It is called an XT Power MP10000-and is switchable from 9 to 12V. Very well made, and the barrel plug fits several of my Casios perfectly. Not the cheapest, but when it comes to battery packs, not the place to scrimp-and battery DC is always cleaner than a wall-wart (I think).here are other cheapervariations, but i don't trust my Casios to those. And the Casios consume alot less power than most of my older equipment-very nice.

13 hours ago, Casiofun said:

Have you thought about buying a used PX5 S. You probably see some as GC has reopened their stores. Search used casio.

I have. In fact, I saw one at the local GC store last year. I go back and forth between kicking myself for not seizing the opportunity and paying myself on the back for exercising self-restraint.

The biggest problem isn't the money - I have a decent day job. I live in a modest size house with three other people and my music space is relegated to a 5'x3' corner of the living room. Any extra gear I have is stored in the (unheated/uncooled) garage. For a pair of powered speakers, that's ok, but I hesitate to store an instrument in that condition. 

That said, the PX-5S is not a large keyboard, so I might be able to find somewhere to stash a spare. 

So, this thread had me thinking, what would the tunes I play sound like if they were just played on a solo keyboard, like an unfamiliar model that I may have to borrow to get by in an equipment failure scenario?

I tried just a piano sound with little alteration to the parts and, well... I wouldn't pay a cover to hear someone make those sounds!

However, doing nothing else except adding back in the percussion loop turned it from a definite "no" to a "Hey, I kinda dig the raw, gritty vibe," or, at least something somewhat adequate for all but the synth-heavy songs.  I did find that some of the distorted lead sounds had to be replaced with chords to make up for the fullness that distortion provides, but it was within my ability.

I think I'll be able to get away with using percussion loops/tracks and a different keyboard (borrowed or spare) as a 80% backup solution. Although I'll still look into other possible options.

Thanks for the ideas, everyone!

On 7/23/2020 at 8:46 AM, Jokeyman123 said:

For what we play anymore,  I have changed over to a 12 volt system.   It consists of a 120 ac x 12 dc power supply.   I have a 12 volt car audio amplifier that accepts any input including line level with 100 w per channel output.   We now are using a laptop to drive the midi backing tracks where needed.   I use the WK7500 as the midi player.  I take along a 110 v power inverter and leave it in the car if I need to power the laptop and the 2 casio's that I have racked in case of power failure.   I also have a 12 volt AGM battery that is not too big that is left in the car.   That battery will last 4+ hours.    I use a pair of decent 2 way speakers for the stereo output.  I have a sub woofer that hooks to both channels but don't always use it.   

This setup has surprising punch, and is more than enough for a medium sized room.   The setup has enough flexibility to play anywhere even outside where there is no power.   Never had worries if something didn't work since all the components back each other up.   The worst part of the whole system is having wires all over and the time to pack it up when all you want to do is leave when your gig is done.    We do think alike however!

CTK 900

WK 7500

Right-sounds like a real handy setup-I also have 2 marine batteries and 2 600-1200 watt filtered power inverters, and a "tailgater" generator-small enough to carry around if I need it. Why such overkill? Not for my boards or gigs-although this setup certainly gives me that ability-but for our power outages here in the Poconos, which I just used Wednesday. Being a ratpack musician does sometimes come in handy-necessity as is said is the mother of invention. 

Zappa-milk-cookies.jpg