Video Files on Forum ×

SP34 - 3 pedal attachment

smokinjo

I have no regrets buying the 3 pedal sp34 for my PC-S3000.  It has the right feel.  Nice

But, there is something that bugs me about it.

Sometimes, when I sit down to play the piano and I go to use the pedal. But, the sustain pedal just does not sustain!  This happens after knowing that it worked the previous time playing the piano.

I end up, on a regular basis, having to unplug and plug it back i in order to make it work.

Why does this happen?

This in and of itself is an annoyance, but not the end of the world.

My worry is more medium/long term where the connection my go bad or a pin might break due to ware and tear.

Ideas?  Suggestions?

• 1 month later...

Hi @smokinjo I can confirm, I came across the same issue occasionally as well.

1) I also worry about the proprietary connector to wear out over time, it's not sturdy as jacks.

Well, I don't have permanent solution, but good old IT "fix" -  just "turn the piano off and on again" - does the trick here as well and reset the pedal the same way like unplug/plug. More annoyance (booting takes more time), but saves the connector,  On/off switch should last longer.

2) I suspect, that the issue happens more often if I am not patient enough and touch the piano and/or (?) the pedal before PX-S3000 finish to fully boot. Can you wait a bit, check if it helps for you  (and report here please, I am also curious).

hope it helps.

Just to be a little more specific, for me, it only happens sometimes after turning the piano on (not during the play), which seems to be aligned with original post.

On 7/28/2020 at 3:46 AM, smokinjo said:

Sometimes, when I sit down to play the piano and I go to use the pedal. But, the sustain pedal just does not sustain!  This happens after knowing that it worked the previous time playing the piano.

When this happens, I wouldn't say it's not working completely, but more like "partial  sustain". Clearly not working properly and full sustaining, but there is some short sustain effect going on. (looks like pedal is not calibrated at that time and needs sort of reset. Can you confirm it's similar to you or not sustaining at all?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Lighthunt. 

I apgree witgh your statements.

For me, it seems to happen ALL the time.  I turn on the keybpard, and unless I unplug and plug it back in, the full sustain affect is NOT there.  It more of a weak, shortt sustain.

It is two things:

1 - an annoyace

2 - a worry, because at some point, the connector will break, or maybe a pin in the keyboard

Is this a bug in e software, of I have a defective keyboard and/or pedal unit?

For a long time (knock on the wood) didn't experience this problem, if not touching the pedal during startup.... So I was just guessing based on observations, that during startup, the pedal calibrates (and so if I don't touch it, usually there's no problem). Turning it off/on again usually fixed the problem.

Usually nondeterministic issues are harder prove to claim warranty, but if your problem is so consistent, I'd personally claim the warranty if you can. This behavior can hardly be considered normal. I don't know the implementation, but the connection may already be sort of broken

• Like 1