Video Files on Forum ×

Expression pedal

Tommy TJ

Okay, just wanting to do this once.  Looking at a Moog EP-3 to use on my CTX 5000.  Initially as a volume control but would like to experiment with the other possiblities . . .   rhythm, bank changes, etc.  Also, it seems like this unit is universal and compatible but I have no experience in the match up of "expression" (aka: volume) pedals and my new CTX 5000.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Just a note, the jack labled "pedal 2/expression" on the CT-X5000 can be configured to accept either a standard switch pedal or an expression pedal.  Configured as an expression pedal jack,  an expression pedal is literally for expression only.  It can not be assigned to other functions.  Configured as a switch pedal jack, the selectable functions are either sustain, sostenuto, soft, or rhythm/song start stop.  That is the full list of selectable effects.  

I haven't checked the Moog EP-3 pedal for compatibility, but the specs should give a good indication if it is.  Casio indicates a pedal with a maximum resistance value: 10kΩ±20% to 50kΩ±20%, will work.  The CT-X5000 can accept pedals of either polarity.  Confirmed compatible pedals are; Roland EV-5 (Set minimum volume to 0.), KURZWEIL CC-1, and FATAR VP-25, VP-26. 

14 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

Configured as a switch pedal jack, the selectable functions are either sustain, sostenuto, soft, or rhythm/song start stop.  That is the full list of selectable effects.  

On the CT-X3000/X5000, it can also be assigned to reg cycle within the currently selected bank. It's not in the same menu as the other assignments (it's in the Reg menu in the Functions list), but it's an assignable function nonetheless.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all of the info.  I opted for the M-Audio EX-P.  Plugged in to Pedal 2/Expression.  Works great as an expression controller.  However,  when I press it to max (full volume) it is not quite as loud as my rhythm accompaniment.  Prior to that, everything was about the same volume on any accompaniment or UL 'lead'.  The problem I have with that is, once again, it defeats the purpose of having a foot 'volume' control.  Is there a way to gently/slightly/evenly lower the volume of all of the rhythm accompaniments globally?  I would like to have my UL keyboard be louder than everything else.    

OMG.  That's probably the EASIEST change I've made.  

This thing is so cool.  Makes the Rheem that I used to play in the 60's look like a toy.  Well.  Actually, looking back it was sort of a toy.

But this CTX 5000 is everything I need for this old man's two man band!  : )

• Like 1