Video Files on Forum ×

Surf's Up - Brian Wilson/Van Dyke Parks

From the 1966 Beachboys Album Smile.  I found a very good and free sheet music arrangement for this piece on YouTube (see attached PDF) after getting frustrated trying to learn from a poorly chorded score I recently purchased online.  Still, it took several weeks to master.  I practiced in chunks, breaking it down into the rhythm, verse, and the 3 movements which I "glued" together in MidiEditor.  I added a small/free ocean wave sample to the start of the "Surf's Up" movement for fun using Audacity.   (5) midi tracks consisting of:

1. Grand Concert Piano
  2. Sub sine (copy of track #1 without pedal inputs)
  3. Standard drum kit
  4. Stairway recorder (hex)
  5. Wide Strings

Surfs Up.pdf Surfs Up.mp3

6 hours ago, Tsquare said:

Thank you m10538.  You should check out the nutty, beatnic lyrics that Parks came up with.  LSD induced for sure.

Far out, man! Maybe Brian was hoping for a Lennon / McCartney type songwriting partnership with Parks but...not quite. Some of those words don't flow together too well. One good phrase at least, "the child is the father of the man". That one's pretty cool.

• Like 1