Video Files on Forum ×

Question about layer and split tones in wk3000

Ftlaudmom

I am a little confused about the layer and split.  I choose a main voice,  hit layer to choose a second voice,  hit split to choose a third voice for the lower keys. When I choose split independently of layer I notice a 4th different voice that I haven't chosen.  When I hit layer again my original third voice is back.  What am I missing?

That fourth voice is the Auto Harmonize voice.  The layer voice is normally in unison with the main voice, but the Auto Harmonize notes generate a harmony  (up to 10 different types available) with the main voice in accordance with the chord you are playing with your left hand, when the Auto-accompaniment feature is turned on.  The Auto Harmonize voice defaults to the same voice as the main voice, but you can use the Mixer to select a different voice for the Auto Harmonize notes.  See the right hand column of Page E-45 and the left hand column of Page E-46 of the manual for full details.

Enjoy !

- T -

Ahhh!   But I have only stated what the 4th voice is.  I have not said anything about what track it is on.  Start by turning to Page E-61 in the WK-3000 manual, and see the illustration midway down the left hand column.  This illustration indicates that the WK-3000's song recorder is a 6 track MIDI "sequencer".  These are 6 real hardware tracks.  So, real as opposed to what?  When you select any of the Tracks 2 through 6 for recording, whatever you play on the keyboard is recorded to that selected track. That is why they are shown as being for the recording of simple keyboard play, but now look at Track 1.  It looks like there are multiple things going on there and there are.  When you record a complete performance with the Song Memory Mode, your right hand play, Auto Harmonize (if used), and all insturments (sounds) of the Auto Accompaniment are all recorded to Track 1 (known in the newer models as the "System Track") in a single pass. Now see the table in the left hand column of Page E-47.  These are the Mixer Channel assignments.  Per my previous statement,  during a Song Memory Mode recording, all of the data (with two major exceptions) on Channels 1 through 10 get recorded to Track 1 in a single pass.  Essentiallly, real Track 1 is subdivided into 10 virtual tracks for the recording of that data.  The two major exceptions?  Sadly, the WK-3000 is not capable of recording the layer and split voices.  When Song Memory Mode is turned on, those two voices are turned off.  An important caveat in all of this is that if you have made a Song Memory Mode performance recording, and now want to play along and add a couple of tracks, you MUST do those recordings on real Tracks 2 through 6.  Any attempt to add a virtual track directly to real Track 1 will result in all previously recorded data on real Track 1 being erased.  Of course, if you want to "lay down"" your own tracks, from the outset, and not start with a Song Memory performance recording, see the right hand column on Page E-67.

Hope this helps!

- T -

Yes that's where I'm headed so you saved me another post lol. I'm looking to record parts of Coldplays Fix You so I can play along and was getting to trying to figure out how to do that.  I'm going to read over your instructions and the manual and let you know how it goes.  

Thanks for your detailed responses.