Video Files on Forum ×

Loss of touch sensitivity

jdcykca

I've got a CDP-130.

While I was playing, a range of 8 keys suddenly lost touch sensitivity. After a short while the next 8 lower keys lost it as well, but regained it after some more time.

I've taken it apart and cleaned it - even removing each key to get at the contact sensors. The rubber contact strips are in good condition and clean.

I noticed each key has two contact sensors - the rubber "buttons" each have two conductive pads: one is longer than the other and would contact first. I assume that velocity sensitivity is achieved by measuring the time interval between the two contacts. I tested "normal" keys by closing only one contact at a time - no sound. Only when both contacts are closed is there sound. When I do this on the "defective" keys I get a full velocity sound just from closing either one of the contacts.

The circuit board the contacts are on looks pretty simple - no ICs or anything, just what appears to be a single transistor for each key. There is no visible damage and the solder joints look healthy on all the transistors. The ribbon cables look good too.

Any suggestions?

You are correct about the time intervals-and here is where the trouble can lie. Each boot-if you look very carefully-you will see is a tiny bit different-one is shorter than the other-has a shorter "throw" when pressed in-so depending upon how you hit the key-will determine the timing between each rubber bumper contacting the IC contacts below as you said. This is one of the more difficult repairs I have come across. The only solution-that I know will (mostly) work-if this is the problem-is to replace the rubber strips with new ones-and have to be an exact replacement-you can't replace these with something that appears to be the same-it probably will not be. And since this is happening on a range of keys-I would suspect the rubber strips-although there is a possibility that the connector cable from the keyboard to mainboard has slipped out-even a tiny movement form these cables can cause this same problem-unless it is hard-wired-all the Casios I have worked on have pressure-slip ribbon connectors-just have to pulled out or pushed  in, these can move over time-usually not but possible so look at that.

What makes this type of malfunction difficult to assess-the rubber bumpers can look perfect-i suspect that after much playing-these boots become slightly compressed-and lose their "geometry"-even the tiniest distortion in these d****ed boots will ruin dynamic response. As far as other components-i've tested 100s of the matrix diodes in many boards-almost never have come across a bad diode-and this would affect (usually) only one, sometimes 2-3 notes depending on IC design.

if you do get spare rubber boot strips-from Keyboard Kountry or similar-make sure 1) these are an exact replacement and 2) are new-do not bother buying "pulls" or used-as these probably will hve the same malfunctions-I had to learn that the hard way.

One last word and i don't work for Casio-saying this as a musician-I have 4 Privias-of varying ages-all played on quite a bit-and so far I have had no malfunctions like this at all.  i always keep dust covers on or in cases-it is frustrating how many keyboard malfunctions are caused by-cr*** that gets into the key mechanism-the rubber boots are very sensitive and mostly stay very tightly sealed along the IC boards-but once you open these up do not clean that carbon with anything except compressed air and maybe a very lint-free damp cloth. Again, learned from experience.

Good luck, and post back, Am always interested in how these problems get solved-always recommend a tech first-and only DIY if you absolutely have to and not under warranty. I have tech training/repair, and still find certain repair problems impossible on my own. Keyboards are one of the most difficult electronics to repair IMO, short of working for NASA!

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone. We have a Casio CDP-130 in our church that has many keys that are not working and I want to replace the conductive rubber but I couldn't find the exact type. Can anyone help me

where can I order the exact conductive rubber? Our church doesn't have enough money to buy a new piano. Hope there is somebody that can help us from this forum. Greatly appreciate your help. God Bless. - Alvin from Philippines

• 8 months later...

I have a Casio AP 260 Celviano  piano with one duff key

it has a red 3  x3. Rubber plate on I take it there are conductors in the rubber that sit on the small circuit board below …….?  Which i missed so will have to dismantle again 

if this is not the problem is it reallyworth repairing as it cost about 700 pounds to buy 5 years ago and i can buy a pk piano for beginners fir 300 pounds  new  ???

in Thailand so would have to send a 12 hr journey to the capital Bangkok