Video Files on Forum ×

CTK-651 midi to usb cable issue

Hello everyone,  

i have searched everywhere for my problem and ended up finding this forum. i have old CTK-651 keyboard. i want to make youtube videos. so i need to connect my keyboard and computer to generate midi file. I have tried one of the midi to usb cable from amazon

https://www.amazon.in/VicTsing-Cable-Converter-Keyboard-Adapter/dp/B00ACGMOA6/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=midi+to+usb+cable&qid=1597988599&sr=8-10

but this did not work properly. some of the notes were not playing in computer. i have tried to connect this on midieditor, see music and synthesia app(On PC). I returned this product.

Now i want to know whether cable of roland will work on casio keyboard ?

like checkout this cable available on amazon https://www.amazon.in/Roland-UM-ONE-MK2-MIDI-Interface/dp/B00967UN50

if anyone of you has other option available in india, kindly let me know. 

or should i buy new casio keyboard ?

Welcome to the forum. Yes, unfortunately your first illustrated cable is most likely the problem. these are almost always either poorly made, missing components or even completely dead on arrival. I've had 2 of these, both of which were failures-if you Google this particular cable, you will be able to see you are not alone. almost any other quality cable will work-some names are Edirol, Roland Um's  and Yamaha should all be fine. I use a Midisport 2 x 2 adapter which works very well but is a metal box with cables might more cumbersome for what you want but it is very reliable and passes data faster than some. You may have to install a specific branded driver for those adapters but maybe not-Yamaha, Roland and Midisport have their own software drivers available on their respective websites. I recently purchased this pictured below for around 15.00 US dollars, and it seems to be working OK, but these are new on the market, so not totally sure if this will be OK for your needs-definitely better quality than your first adapter and connecting several midi devices to my laptops it seems to work fine.

image.jpeg.af97645b568d0bcbe6ac6a2bbe5585e5.jpeg