Video Files on Forum ×

Are Friends Electric - Gary Numan

This one is per @m10538 reguest on his post https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/17879-numan-on-new-tech/  ..."Hey, how about an all Casio version of AFE, anybody ever make one?"

Here is my Casio version of this song from 1979.  Gary Numan is an interesting dude who has asperger's syndome (autism).  Fun trivia:  the British sit-com "The IT Crowd" (which is hilarious) uses a version of this in its theme song.  Not too hard to learn except for the tricky interludes.  (9) midi tracks consisting of:

1. 16 Beat and Ballad2 rhythms custom edited to use synth drum set2
  2. 80's Synth strings
  3. Hexpoly synth
  4. Syn Brass3
  5. Saw Lead1 with pitch wheel set to +7 semitones
  6. Pulse Lead2
  7. Rock Gtr Bass
  8. Overdrive Gtr2
  9. Fantasy1

Are Friends Electric.mp3

• Like 1

Cool, 👍! Took more of a techno approach on yours, eh, Tsquare? Those riffs were a really fun to play. The riff it begins with apparently arose when Gary hit a wrong note, I think it's the Bb. It seems shocking and out of place. That's what makes it cool!

I like your ending better. A sudden end instead of a fade. Dang, I wish I would have thought of that!

Thanks m10538 for the compliment.  Yes, the dissonant bit is a Bb - E.  Awesome mistake, Ha.  Very progressive sound for the 70s.  Until I listened to your post, I was only familiar with Numan's Cars song.  Thanks for expanding my repertoire.

• 3 months later...

Both versions are great!  I especially like how you did it, Tsquare -- very clean, somewhat heavy, excellent groove that inspires movement.  I also like that you listed the stuff you used.  What's the difference between how the two versions were made?  I'm going to try to do a version on my PX560.  Never done anything like this before.  I can play it on the piano now, sort of.  But it doesn't have the forcefulness, or whatever, of either your or m10538's version.  It's the lack of percussion partly, of course partly the way I play it, but mostly the lack of the synth stuff, I think.  I love that synth stuff.  Especially the 'heavy' synth stuff.  I'm considering doing it with a string quartet, or something like that.  Cello(s) and maybe bass (fretless!?) for the recurring heavy stuff, violins for the overlays.  Maybe some percussion.  I don't know.  This could take me a while, hahahahaa.  I tend to ramble when tickling the synthetic ivories.  Anyway thanks to m10538 for the definitive Android app plus Human (on MiniMoog?) version, and you for the definitive Casio (PX560?) version!

• 3 weeks later...