Video Files on Forum ×

Music Stand To Small

David Pansini

I enjoy my PX-S3000. One complaint I have is the size of the music stand. It's narrow and not very tall. Sheet music flops over the top and I can only fit three sheets, with both end sheets hanging beyond the edges. 

I put together a make shift music stand that sits on top of Casio's stand (and clipped to the Casio stand so it doesn't' move). I made it out of thick poster board and it's as tall as sheet music and wide enough to hold four sheets without hanging over the edges. This is fine for my studio but not something I would take out on gigs.

Has this bothered anyone else? Has anyone else fabricated a better stand? Does anyone know of a quality sheet music stand thats taller and wider than the stock stand that will fit the PX-S3000? 

If Casio monitors this site, you may want to think about making an optional stand that's more robust. I'll be the first to buy it (if the price is fair).

Thanks

IMG_5389.thumb.jpg.1934f04f7793a1d94fec0a8f61b7aeb5.jpg

DavidIMG_5388.thumb.jpg.a491711eef83c2317661a77c27a7ba2b.jpg 

This is why many performers need "page turners". I've even seen musicians using clothespins, string and home-made stands.  Most professional bandstand style stands I ever had to use were only the width of a fakebook anyway.  I think your little kludge is about as good as it will get and better than some. The thinnest wood panels or even aluminum pieces (ala Home Depot etc.) are too thick to fit in these slots-I know, I've tried. My old TS-12 has 2 holes in the top about 2 feet apart I would imagine for making your own stand which would be easier-since it is easier to find 2 pieces of some kind of rods to fit in the holes-and then attach to a piece of posterboard, thin plywood or even fiberboard-which unfortunately is also heavy, and about 1/4 inch thick-too thick to fit in the Casio slot. I never did figure out what Ensoniq made the holes for-I never saw a music stand designed for it, but it would end up being pretty much the length of the keyboard, like your design above.

Thanks for the response. My main instrument is Guitar. I use my iPad with an app called OnSong. It's an amazing app I've been using since it came out 10+ years ago. I use OnSong with my Piano too. But for practicing, I scan in songs from books or sheet music so I can display each page like in the attached photo. Having to turn pages is annoying. Once I've learned the song, I either add the scanned sheet music, or create the song with just words and chords to OnSong.

What I created works fine, but would be nice to have something a bit more robust.

I'm using similar Android apps for sheet music, fake sheets, especially for guitar and keys-but the small 10-11 inch -screens are a little bit of a problem. And there is no provision for a method of moving pages hands-free-like a foot pedal that can control punch-in/out. I have larger Windows tablets-12 inch (Motions)-but again, less than ideal software for notation or lead sheets without the ability to turn pages hands-free. As far as I know-unless someone has kludged such devices-I guess it's possible-would be fantastic to be able to turn virtual computer pages with some kind of foot mechanism. I thought of some kind of mouse designed as a foot pedal, or even a midi pedal-but no software I know of has a function for recognizing this. and I've examined quite a few-Musescore, Noteworthy Composer, DAWs, other lead-sheet readers. do you know of any? I's got to possible somehow. I also have tried auto-scrolling lead sheet programs in android, but so far-can't control the speed of scrolling-and again, unless I can find a 12" screen android tablet (Samsung made one but costs huge money) and I don't trust the Windows tablets-which I believe are less than 12" too.

When I used to rehearse large scores (NJ Percussion Ensemble years back) before computers-we had to set up 2-3 kludgy music stands together to get 5-6 pages across at once-talking 3-4 feet of sheet music, since it was impossible to turn pages-with your hands full of 4-5-6 mallets! And the music being insanely fast and difficult-even page turners wouldn't have solved the problem-only the piano players got the page turners, and I wasn't one of them-not for this, eeekk!

12 hours ago, David Pansini said:

Thanks all for your comments.

I made a 48" x 13.5" music stand and attached it to my regular music stand for stability. Works great in my studio. I can keep a lot of sheet music on itIMG_0002.thumb.jpg.cdde1ab0151bbea588a9114efe71b041.jpg . IMG_0003.thumb.jpg.653e0b89f9ac06d2aeccb73476bb491d.jpgFor performing, I'll bring the stock stand and my iPad. But for the studio, problem solved. And it cost about $8.00. No bad.

Good job !  as you read for many players a problem the small stand :)