Video Files on Forum ×

why is the option deleting for all songs on a SD card called "format"

davis9754

hi, i'm new to this forum.

i formatted the sd card for my LK 280 and then all the songs were deleted. i did it because i thought that was one of the steps to import a sampled tone onto the keyboard (i wasnt reading the manual carefully), now i dont know what to do or how to get them back. are the songs permanently deleted or is there a way to get them back? and why is "format" called what it is if it deletes songs?

• davis9754 changed the title to why is the option deleting for all songs on a SD card called "format"
2 hours ago, davis9754 said:

hi, i'm new to this forum.

i formatted the sd card for my LK 280 and then all the songs were deleted. i did it because i thought that was one of the steps to import a sampled tone onto the keyboard (i wasnt reading the manual carefully), now i dont know what to do or how to get them back. are the songs permanently deleted or is there a way to get them back? and why is "format" called what it is if it deletes songs?

Hi Davis   Yes that not a good thing    ...if it is a regularly sd card  there is hope   but as long you not write any thing new on it  and you need a sd card reader but they are in expensive

there are un-delete /format resque   programs for windows computer also freewares  what might fix  your problem . 

If you need any help  just post here  .

Just now, HELVETIA said:

Hi Davis   Welcome  ...Yes that is not a good thing    ...if it is a regularly sd card  there is hope   but as long you not write any thing new on it  and you need an sd card reader but they are in expensive

there are un-delete /format resque   programs for windows computer also freewares  what might fix  your problem . 

OH and FORMAT "easy telling" will  delete/destroy  all on the SD card inclusive the format name  and or the structure ..like it would be with a new empty SD card cq blank    with a new format name .

While Delete ...only delete files you tell to delete ,,,but leave the SD structure in  tact  so you can add files and delete files  again if you want but will not delete anything else  on the SD   .

Format is a standard computer term used for decades for all kinds of computer drives and memory devices-thumb drives, SD, CF micro-SD, mini-SD cards and floppy and hard drives. When you "format" a memory device-you are simply assigning the computer the job of preparing a new drive to receive and store whatever data you decide to store on it. You are always going to be starting with a new empty drive. Most SD/CF/TF/thumb drives are already "formatted' at the factory, and your computer already contains a hard drive that was "formatted" prior to the operating system being installed on it. Even your smartphone or tablet has some kind of internal memory that has been formatted by the manufacturer before you bought it. This is how a phone or tablet can be "locked" by the manufacturer-they install code that will not let you delete its basic memory or operating system unless you are programmer and know how to do this. So much for the tutorial on formatting.

There are-as Helvetia is saying-software programs you might be able to find and download-to recover the data you deleted from the SD card. I've used similar programs, but it was a long time ago, I don't know if you can find those programs anymore, I will look at my old "archives' from my computers and see if i still have such a program.  In the computer world (now the keyboard world too) the term "redundancy" is commonly used-this means-the first rule I learned in computer school-always back up your data somewhere else, before you do anything! That's why so many Casios and other keyboards allow for computers to communicate with keyboards-to back up/save your data on the computer-this way if your SD card or other drive goes bad (and they do) you will have your precious files saved elsewhere. I do, I've lost plenty of data-due to my mistakes, bad electric surges or defective equipment problems-I've had some counterfeit thumb drives that have deleted my data just by using them.

When Casio says to "format" a card or thumb drive-this is because-depending on the model of Casio-the Casio keyboard will create a "structure" of empty folders that will hold specific data-data can be a tone, a registration, a performance or an entire midi or audio recording-and the SD card or thumb drive must have this structure created by the keyboard before you can use it. This is a different type of "formatting" than the standard computer "formatting", as you have unfortunately now discovered. Either way-all your data will be deleted-in order to create what the keyboard or computer sees as a new, empty drive. when you "brick" your phone or tablet-something has happened that somehow reformatted your phone-and now you will have to re-install its operating system-and any data you saved on it, which will now also be gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HELVETIA said:

OH and FORMAT "easy telling" will  delete/destroy  all on the SD card inclusive the format name  and or the structure ..like it would be with a new empty SD card cq blank    with a new format name .

While Delete ...only delete files you tell to delete ,,,but leave the SD structure in  tact  so you can add files and delete files  again if you want but will not delete anything else  on the SD   .

If  you google  you will find many recovery programs 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Format is a standard computer term used for decades for all kinds of computer drives and memory devices-thumb drives, SD, CF micro-SD, mini-SD cards and floppy and hard drives. When you "format" a memory device-you are simply assigning the computer the job of preparing a new drive to receive and store whatever data you decide to store on it. You are always going to be starting with a new empty drive. Most SD/CF/TF/thumb drives are already "formatted' at the factory, and your computer already contains a hard drive that was "formatted" prior to the operating system being installed on it. Even your smartphone or tablet has some kind of internal memory that has been formatted by the manufacturer before you bought it. This is how a phone or tablet can be "locked" by the manufacturer-they install code that will not let you delete its basic memory or operating system unless you are programmer and know how to do this. So much for the tutorial on formatting.

There are-as Helvetia is saying-software programs you might be able to find and download-to recover the data you deleted from the SD card. I've used similar programs, but it was a long time ago, I don't know if you can find those programs anymore, I will look at my old "archives' from my computers and see if i still have such a program.  In the computer world (now the keyboard world too) the term "redundancy" is commonly used-this means-the first rule I learned in computer school-always back up your data somewhere else, before you do anything! That's why so many Casios and other keyboards allow for computers to communicate with keyboards-to back up/save your data on the computer-this way if your SD card or other drive goes bad (and they do) you will have your precious files saved elsewhere. I do, I've lost plenty of data-due to my mistakes, bad electric surges or defective equipment problems-I've had some counterfeit thumb drives that have deleted my data just by using them.

When Casio says to "format" a card or thumb drive-this is because-depending on the model of Casio-the Casio keyboard will create a "structure" of empty folders that will hold specific data-data can be a tone, a registration, a performance or an entire midi or audio recording-and the SD card or thumb drive must have this structure created by the keyboard before you can use it. This is a different type of "formatting" than the standard computer "formatting", as you have unfortunately now discovered. Either way-all your data will be deleted-in order to create what the keyboard or computer sees as a new, empty drive. when you "brick" your phone or tablet-something has happened that somehow reformatted your phone-and now you will have to re-install its operating system-and any data you saved on it, which will now also be gone.

Googled more recovery programs to find  :) 

Helvetia-do any of these work? I've had mixed results-it depends on how he original device deleted the files, and what the file structures are. I've had mixed results-after trying a few to recover from counterfeit thumb drives, sometimes worked sometimes didn't. If the data is compromised too deeply, no program will get the files back. post one here, I'll try it. Always good to have, I can't find any of mine. And I'd stay away from the costly software to do this-the software developers usually provide open source utilities for programs like this. Most Windows files are difficult to recover in their native original format in my experience. Especially if you have already defragmented those files on a hard drive.

2 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Helvetia-do any of these work? I've had mixed results-it depends on how he original device deleted the files, and what the file structures are. I've had mixed results-after trying a few to recover from counterfeit thumb drives, sometimes worked sometimes didn't. If the data is compromised too deeply, no program will get the files back. post one here, I'll try it. Always good to have, I can't find any of mine. And I'd stay away from the costly software to do this-the software developers usually provide open source utilities for programs like this. Most Windows files are difficult to recover in their native original format in my experience. Especially if you have already defragmented those files on a hard drive.

2 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Hello    again   Jokeyman ,        As you wrote  mixed results esp. I am also looking for freeware  or open source     .if there only music files on the sd card it might working the recovery ..but sometimes you have to fiddle with more as 1 recovery software   but i had  good results recovering sd cards  in the past as long they are not defective or simply  overwritten   or formatted again . thumb drives yes i had  also some bad ones just trashed them   they where holding data and then for some reasons not holding data  so what you saved on them was just gone lol.  anyway I hope  Davis can retrieve his files   !

this is directed to Davis and Helvetia-below is the link to the only open source software I ever found that worked. There are 2 separate programs you will find on this website. the one you can read in the hyperlink is called simply PhotoRec-this is the program that will prompt you to pick the disk (in this case your SD card plugged into your computer's SD card reader-and will work with thumb drives too). the other program is a little more involved and is called testdisk-which can recover an entire drive if the drive becomes unbootable-and can be used with any type of drive-but will not recover data-it will make an unusable/unbootable disk bootable again. Davis, not what you need, you need the PhotoRec program. Both are downloads at this open source website.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

These are a little hard to work with if you aren't comfortable with some more advanced functions regarding Windows and computers-can be used with any version of Windows, and there is plenty of documentation for both Testdisk and Photorec as part of the downloads-I have these set up on onre of my Windows 7 machines, now I recall I'd used the Photorec to try to restore a huge bunch of files my counterfeit thumb drives ruined-and recovered some but not all using this particular program, so Davis it might work, but you may have to study it a bit. If your files are important, it's worth knowing how to run these programs, it could happen again.  and it will work with an SD card, as long as it is inserted in your computer-it will find your card slot as the E:/F: or even G: drive depending on what else your computer is running, and will prompt you what to do next. It runs in a "DOS" box-you might have to study that to know what it's doing-but it will work. Recovering lost files is one of the most difficult parts of using computers-always has been. 

Helvetia-the thumb drives that caused problems are documented on Google-these were "no-name" drives that were advertised a 4-8-16-32 GB which in reality were not even close to that capacity-were manufactured by unscrupulous factories that used memory chips that were known defective and should have been discarded-but were put in these bogus thumb drives instead. Files would appear and disappear-fooled me for awhile because it looked like my files had been saved or copied-but only the names and fake file sizes were being shown. When I used developer's tools to read the drive's firmware-I was shocked to see these drives were showing either a very small cappacity-512Kb for example-or could not access the firmware at all-it as deliberately being disguised by code to appear as a larger drive, and wasn't! The lengths some will go to try to deceive is always an unpleasant surprise. i have those software detection tools installed too if you need them. Hope you don't!

1 hour ago, Jokeyman123 said:

this is directed to Davis and Helvetia-below is the link to the only open source software I ever found that worked. There are 2 separate programs you will find on this website. the one you can read in the hyperlink is called simply PhotoRec-this is the program that will prompt you to pick the disk (in this case your SD card plugged into your computer's SD card reader-and will work with thumb drives too). the other program is a little more involved and is called testdisk-which can recover an entire drive if the drive becomes unbootable-and can be used with any type of drive-but will not recover data-it will make an unusable/unbootable disk bootable again. Davis, not what you need, you need the PhotoRec program. Both are downloads at this open source website.

These are a little hard to work with if you aren't comfortable with some more advanced functions regarding Windows and computers-can be used with any version of Windows, and there is plenty of documentation for both Testdisk and Photorec as part of the downloads-I have these set up on onre of my Windows 7 machines, now I recall I'd used the Photorec to try to restore a huge bunch of files my counterfeit thumb drives ruined-and recovered some but not all using this particular program, so Davis it might work, but you may have to study it a bit. If your files are important, it's worth knowing how to run these programs, it could happen again.  and it will work with an SD card, as long as it is inserted in your computer-it will find your card slot as the E:/F: or even G: drive depending on what else your computer is running, and will prompt you what to do next. It runs in a "DOS" box-you might have to study that to know what it's doing-but it will work. Recovering lost files is one of the most difficult parts of using computers-always has been. 

Helvetia-the thumb drives that caused problems are documented on Google-these were "no-name" drives that were advertised a 4-8-16-32 GB which in reality were not even close to that capacity-were manufactured by unscrupulous factories that used memory chips that were known defective and should have been discarded-but were put in these bogus thumb drives instead. Files would appear and disappear-fooled me for awhile because it looked like my files had been saved or copied-but only the names and fake file sizes were being shown. When I used developer's tools to read the drive's firmware-I was shocked to see these drives were showing either a very small cappacity-512Kb for example-or could not access the firmware at all-it as deliberately being disguised by code to appear as a larger drive, and wasn't! The lengths some will go to try to deceive is always an unpleasant surprise. i have those software detection tools installed too if you need them. Hope you don't!

Damm I deleted what I just wrote  0O  

ok will write tomorrow Jokeyman  lol 

8 hours ago, HELVETIA said:

Hi Davis   Yes that not a good thing    ...if it is a regularly sd card  there is hope   but as long you not write any thing new on it  and you need a sd card reader but they are in expensive

this is the software you need for the recovery  

DISK DRILL RECOVERY SOFTWARE   (FREE-VERSION )    https://www.cleverfiles.com/data-recovery-software.html

As Jokeyman said, "format" is a decades old term that has always applied to mean the effect of erasing/ preparing a storage media for use. It is in no way ever meant to mean delete files, unless it is used to 'wipe clean' the whole media. Many devices can use the same media type, but may often use different file structures, e.g. FAT32, NTFS, LINUX etc., or in some cases use a proprietary format unique to a particular device. The "format" function will prepare the media for use with a specific file and directory structure depending on its application.

The "format" operation tends to have two levels - quick or full.

Generally a quick format is the default option. All it does is remove the media's directory information and replaces it with an empty structure. The actual data remains, the directory information of where to find the old data/ files is removed. It new files are written/ saved, the directory will allow the new files to be written over the old data because the directory no longer regards the old data as part of a file.

A full format also removes the directory information, but then goes and erases all the data/ files too across the entire media. This option is nearly always irreversible.

A quick format can, in many cases, be undone. AS LONG AS NO NEW DATA HAS BEEN WRITTEN TO THE STORAGE MEDIA IMMEDIATELY AFTER FORMATTING. A file recovery program will scan through the whole media and find any files/ data, then rebuild the directory based on the data it finds. In many cases, a full recovery can often be achieved.

There are a lot of free and also trial versions of data recovery out there. Do not pay for expensive software unless you need powerful data recovery on a regular basis. Some will actually make an image of the storage media you are trying to recover that it then works on. This can be beneficial as sometimes the physical media can get irreparably damaged during data recovery if strange/ corrupt values are encountered or written. By working on an image, if anything goes wrong you will always have the original to try different options with.

23 hours ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Ok I am back,

Yes the Thumb-drives     in the past I had bad ones now and  then  but I do only buy reliable  brand now a days no problem anymore   ,,,but I got still 1 drive from 2 thera bytes  got it for free not sure its ok as it's no brand might  be fake as well lol   what do you use to detect the firmware ?  I  do not  use  windows  so much anymore but Linux so my old files on windows might be prehistorical by now :P 

Wondering  davis9754  will reply  some  :)

I have H2testW, Chip Genius and RMPrep USB Fake Flash Test, all of which I have had to use to find out what was wrong with these thumb drives. This webpage describes all of these and a few more I haven't used.  I think chip Genius was very effective-but all these will help to detect a fake or defective drive. 

https://www.geckoandfly.com/22803/detect-fake-usb-flash-drives-sd-cards-ssd-disk/

• Thanks 1