Video Files on Forum ×

A dead key in new CDP-S100

Gottfried

Hi, I just bought a brand new CDP-S100 four days ago, everything was fine during the first three days. However, when I practice today, one of the key (G4) has died, no sounds are produced when pressing it. It's a brand new piano and I couldn't find out the reason. Any advice or suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

12 minutes ago, Brad Saucier said:

You can try blowing some air between the keys.  If that doesn't help, I would contact the dealer you purchased it from.

Unfortunately this doesn't help. I bought it on Amazon and they said I need to pay the fee to sent the piano back for replacement or return.

So it's some dust inside the key causing this problem? Should I try with a vacuum cleaner?

Thanks a lot!

3 hours ago, Joe Muscara said:

Brad is suggesting compressed air.

I have seen posts where people turn the keyboard on its side and work the key a bit to clear out the contaminant.

Thanks! Do you mean turn the keyboard with the keys at the bottom side and blow with compressed air?

On 11/16/2020 at 12:10 PM, Joe Muscara said:

I mean stand the keyboard up on its end (on a soft surface of course) and play the key numerous times. The contaminant might work itself out. Other angles of the keyboard might work as well.

It didn't work... Also I think it's unlikely for a brand new keyboard to have this sort of contaminant. But I will try other angles as well. Thanks anyway!

Then I would move on to what Brad suggests.

And any keyboard can get dust or dirt in it. Many of us use covers to keep them clean while not in use though most of us are probably trying to keep the outsides clean as much as anything.

[You'd think with all the Amazon delivery vehicles around, they'd be able to handle returns, too. Hmph.]

1 hour ago, Joe Muscara said:

Then I would move on to what Brad suggests.

And any keyboard can get dust or dirt in it. Many of us use covers to keep them clean while not in use though most of us are probably trying to keep the outsides clean as much as anything.

It's a repair under warranty, and in EU the transport should be paid by the seller or the manufacturer.  Because being a new keyboard it could be that some part of the rubber buttons under the key got dislodged during transport, so the keyboard has to be opened to put it back

And yes, it' important to protect the keyboard.

I use a Vinyl Coated PVC Tablecloth that I bought in an hardware store.

• 5 months later...

hello, I got the same problem with same piano. Did you solve it?

On 11/14/2020 at 6:24 PM, Gottfried said:

Hi, I just bought a brand new CDP-S100 four days ago, everything was fine during the first three days. However, when I practice today, one of the key (G4) has died, no sounds are produced when pressing it. It's a brand new piano and I couldn't find out the reason. Any advice or suggestion?

Thanks in advance!