Video Files on Forum ×

Classic Minimoog 1970's sound on PX-S3000

Patrick Doyle

I was at my piano lesson last week and asked my teacher what synth sound he had on his two keyboards.  He said "Oh, it's a classic Minimoog sound from the 1970's".

Does anybody know how to get that sound out of the PX-S3000?  Does one of the existing tones come close?  Does anybody have a saved registration with the custom DSP tweaks to make that sound?  (I guess I could have tried recording the sound on my phone while I was there, and then listened to all 700 tones in the PX-S3000 to find one that matched... but I figured it would be easier (and certainly lazier!) for me to ask here first 🙂 !)

--wpd

The Minimoog can make all sorts of sounds. Basses, leads, pads, etc. Impossible to know what you're talking about from just this description, unfortunately.

Next lesson, get a recording of it (the better the quality of the recording, the easier it will be to emulate the sound), share it here in this topic as an audio file, and folks here should be able to give you an informed suggestion on how to replicate it.

• Like 2

With a an XW-G1, XW-P1, PX-560 o px-%S, getting a moog-like sound is quite easy having either hex-layers or a virtual analogue monosynth.

Moog could make a lot of different sounds. And because is analogue and doesn't have presets it's difficult to get the same sound if one doesn't write down the settings. This song was published initially on a 45. Master tape were lost, so for the 33 the song was rerecorded but nobody remembered the Moog settings, so the two song sounds different.

On 12/14/2020 at 12:47 PM, Patrick Doyle said:

I was at my piano lesson last week and asked my teacher what synth sound he had on his two keyboards.  He said "Oh, it's a classic Minimoog sound from the 1970's".

Does anybody know how to get that sound out of the PX-S3000?  Does one of the existing tones come close?  Does anybody have a saved registration with the custom DSP tweaks to make that sound?  (I guess I could have tried recording the sound on my phone while I was there, and then listened to all 700 tones in the PX-S3000 to find one that matched... but I figured it would be easier (and certainly lazier!) for me to ask here first 🙂 !)

--wpd

Dear Patrick,

I already mentioned here on the forum that when I bought the PSX 3000 the idea was to buy a digital piano and as such we should not expect much from features that are from a synthesizer, especially when we know that Casio has no update on the way about improvements that will meet some needs such as new tones or the possibility of importing / exporting tones.

But ... Searching here and there I tried to get close to that solo timbre presented in the video posted by mike71. As you may have noticed, the timbre is in unison and has a portamento control, easily noticed when the solo ends.

The only timbres I found that were recorded as unison are from the Others category of numbers 215 and 261 respectively. What I tried was to place the 261 in two layers with different octaves and change the portamento a little by the knob 07 configuration.

Also, you can't do much except connect the PSX3000 to a computer or tablet that has a Moog VST.

Hug!