Video Files on Forum ×

CDP-220R problem with MIDI "Local On/Off"

cooltouch

[Oops, I just noticed that there's a CDP  section here, so dear moderator, please move this post if you feel it's off-topic for this sectrion.]

The last time I used this function on my CDP was a few years ago, and as I recall, it worked fine. I haven't had an occasion to use my keyboard with my computer as a MIDI device for quite a while, but I'd like to start using it now on a regular basis.

Problem is, following the instructions to set Local to "off" it doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm still hearing sound from my Casio's speakers. I've tried toggling it from on to off and back several times, hoping it might get unstuck or something, but it hasn't worked yet.

So, I'm wondering, am I doing anything wrong? Missed a step? Doing things out of order, or?  I've followed the instructions exactly in the manual as to how to set up the keyboard with the computer, and it's showing up in the software as it should. But I'm not getting any of the Casio's sounds through my computer's speakers, instead I'm getting them through the Casio's speakers. Oh, and I can send sounds from the software to the Casio, and they play through the Casio just fine. Just can't seem to get the "Local off" function to work. Any ideas if I'm doing something wrong?

Yes. When I toggle it to "off"  it shows Local as being "off." But sounds are still coming through the speakers.

I visited Casio's website last night and found in their downloads area that they have a publication for using the CDP with a computer and MIDI. I was on a different computer, so I need to download that file to this one -- the DAW -- so I can read up on it to further depth. Maybe it'll give me a hint or two.

The purpose of Local Off in MIDI is to prevent a loop forming if MIDI Out is connected to MIDI In via a MIDI recorder (usually these days a DAW). It allows the recorder to control the keyboard's sounds and the keyboard to send commands to the recorder simultaneously. With Local Off, the keyboard should thus not generate sounds when not connected to a recorder/DAW, and you should be able to disable sounds by disabling the recorder's MIDI output.