Video Files on Forum ×

CDP-100 keys problems

Riz

Hi there,

I have good probablity to buy a CDP 100 very cheap which has the following problems:

B 2nd octave don't play.
A 2nd octave no velocity sens.
Ab 5th octave defective
Ab 6th octave defective.
Having said that, can anyone tell me if the solution is simple to repair it ?

How cheap is "very cheap"? I don't advocate throwing stuff out, but depending on the models available where you are, the CDP-100 has been replaced several times since it shipped. The current model(s) are the CDP-S series and most consider the CDP-S100 much better than the CDP-100. The CDP-S150 is even better than the CDP-S100.

The problems with that CDP-100 you're looking at might be as simple as a loose connector. Or, something might be significantly damaged such as the motherboard or "wiring" (more likely traces) on the keyboard PC board itself. Or, it could just need a good cleaning.

Edited by Joe Muscara
I wrote even better than the CDP-S150 when I meant CDP-S100
  • Like 1

Sounds like this has been pretty extensively abused. Just my opinion-and considering this is an older model-I am familair with the older CDP's-i think this might take considerable repair work to get all keys right. I don't foresee a simple easy repair. Unless you are very adept at disassembling this-i think your time and money is better spent on a newer or new fully functioning Casio. The soundbanks and keyboards on the newer Casios are better. I have a CDP-230, very solid, very well made and sounds fantastic-and this isn't even a newest Casio, but still a wonderful digital piano, and I have much more expensive workstations to compare it to.

These older Casios were built pretty solidly-for this amount of malfunction-i am thinking bad contact strips at least, maybe a broken iC board-or worse-something broken in the mainboard-could be as simple as a ribbon connector or cable disconnected-but based upon what you are saying-does not sound like a simple easy fix.  If you can take it apart, see if you see anything obvious-such as someone spilled something inside that contaminated the keys (not an easy fix) or there is something obviously disconnected or broken, that you can repair-unless you are willing to buy this as a possible parts machine, its your call. if the price is right, you might be able to part it out if it is beyond your capabilities to repair. There is also the difficulty of getting replacement parts for the keys which you may need to do. If you are paying anything more than about 100 dollars US, probably not worth the headache. From experience, these malfunctions can go from very minor to completely unrepairable, many times simply because you wil not be able to find parts you might need to bring this back.

Thanks 4 your opinion guys , forget it the piano has already sold 

for what it was worth was a good deal only 50€ probably had the problems you mentioned or simply to change to the maximum a rubber keys stripe anyway waitin for save some money for something better.