Video Files on Forum ×

The beauty of Hexlayers.

One of the beauty of hexlayers,

If a layer is selected and a tone from that layer is shaped,

for that tone a different tone can be selected without changing

the value's that shaped the previous tone. 

Another aspect of that is tones from a hexlayer can be shaped 

even more using arpeggio/phrase or any other midi modifier to 

form a desired effect into that particular shaped tone. 

Something which isn't possible with a single tone where you have 

to single handed copy value's over.

That's right. My sound editing with the PX560 has been completely done with hex layers, I think the XW-P1 is the same-as you also can pick individual waveforms for each layer in a hex layer, which can't be done from the individual tones in non-hex layers. i discovered this early on as i couldn't understand at first how to change an individual tone without using an exisiting tone, and you cannot select a different waveform unless you are in hex layer mode.

The other interesting thing I've been using-since you only have so many envelopes for each tone-attack, decay sustain and release-by creating different envelopes for several different tones-this can give the effect of multiple envelopes if you layer/superimpose these different envelopes in one hex layer. For example-although i can only vary one pitch per tone with the PX560, I can create six different pitches with a hex layer-like simulating what the older CZ synths could do with 8-stage envelopes-with only one tone which made these so powerful for programmers. I've uploaded a few examples of this in the PX560 uploads section here-silly kinds of sounds, but then I was trying to duplicate some of the more varied sounds I'd programmed years ago with the CZ's. If i can find the time, I can probably duplicate these for the XW-P1 and upload. 

• Like 1

Remember Mike PolySynth in this stage the wave-form is Sawtothwave1 to 6,

I thought at first pitch was used to have that kind of sound spread but the wave-form

have other cycles I believe and in AMP setting they where panned each differently.

I've tried using pitch with hexlayer but being weak with music theory using pitch 

I have no example how to do that. or find a template stage that utilize this. 

EDIT

(A sample would be nice to hear how hexlayers using pitch musically would be appreciated.)

As it be I was wrong there is an example to use as template PX5SALL file has Rock Concert 

this has a Rock Guitar hexlayer that uses four layers each tuned with pitch and coarse tune.

I was so occupied editing hexlayers that the sound of Rock Concert occurred to me while doing.

I've experimented to have the velocity act on the envelope in a way with Amp and Filter by using the 

LFO to create some space between all layers so they all get triggered at different intervals. I thought also using the arpeggio CC94 and have different 

levels of delay at each layer. But the more I do it the messier it gets I have no clue what I'm doing XD. 

Im not sure but I think the envelopes in hexlayers envelope can be triggered with arpeggio velocity 

or triggered by velocity when recording in phrase sequencer ,at least the first stage gets 

triggered and decay's when the release is longer following the other envelope stages. 

I start playing with the envelopes creating drums or short release tones. got different results and an 

idea how it all gets together but like I said I'm not sure. 

It gave me the idea using release ,sustain, cutoff and resonance with the arpeggio to trigger a part of 

a layer with it at certain velocity levels but that didn't work unless there is space using the LFO to sweep

through.