Video Files on Forum ×

CT-S195: what's the scoop?

Been seeing a lot of open-box CT-S195s on shopgoodwill.com lately, mainly from Orange County CA (full disclosure: I just got one). How are they different from S200s and how is Goodwill ending up with so many of them? Given the lower model number, I imagine there's something missing from them that the 200s have. But I can't tell the difference even after reading the manuals. I know Goodwill gets a lot of castoff and surplus stuff from Target and I've seen this model come up at places like Walmart and Costco...so is it an actual S200 with a department store model number, and maybe these are returns from Target? Or maybe there really is a difference in features. Retail price is $119 for both. Wondering if anyone can shed light on this unusual phenomenon and this unusual keyboard.

Thanks for that...sounds a little like the "mattress store" business model where the same mattress is sold under a different name in different places, maybe with a few changes.

By either model number, this is a fun one. The dance/EDM sounds and styles are pretty interesting. Lots of ethnic sounds and styles, too. Keys feel better than any $120 keyboard has a right to, although I do notice the keybed has a little flex to it. Speakers are good but the amp runs out of steam pretty fast if you have to turn your headphones up too high. I'm pleased that it works well as a MIDI controller too, although it may put my smaller Korg MicroKey out of business! I'm actually considering seeing if the numbers work for trading up to a CT-S300 for the pitch bend and touch sensitivity

On 6/29/2021 at 11:50 AM, FnkyGrov said:

Thanks for that...sounds a little like the "mattress store" business model where the same mattress is sold under a different name in different places, maybe with a few changes.

Oooh, don't say that. I hate mattress stores for that reason, and I love Casio keyboards. Casio might do this in a few cases, but nowhere near the extent of mattress stores. You did say "a little like" so I don't think you're slamming Casio though. It's just a raw nerve for me (mattress stores, that is).

• 2 weeks later...