Video Files on Forum ×

Using Chordana and controlling midi instruments at the same time

Tubaguy

I have a px-s1000, a Kenton midi host to control another keyboard and Chordana on my Samsung Galaxy Tab, all of which work fine individually. I tried connecting them through a passive USB hub and midi control is fine, but Chordana gives the connection error. Would I be able to use both midi control and Chordana at the same time through a powered USB hub?

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I am quite new to midi and hadn't appreciated that you can use one or the other, but not both. Looks like my setup needs changing to mitigate the loss of Chordana. Maybe a crib sheet on my tablet rather than a printed copy as it is difficult to see in low light. Remembering how to set/unset for each song is an issue for me though. Good job that the PX-S1000 default piano sounds are really quite refined.

Synthesia is probably better for your case, as it supports the connection of two devices, one for the midi input, the other for the midi output. To connect to a tablet or smartphone, a synthesizer or a midi keyboard (or other usb midi devices), you will need an OTG cable and a usb hub.

Edited by casio_style

Casio_style - Thanks for your suggestion. I had a look at Pianomanchuck's demo of Synthesia (YouTube) and it looks like a good way to learn, however I wanted to use Chordana's Piano Remote Control to change the piano settings while the px-s1000 is connected to a synthesiser via the usb midi port. From Brad Saucier's reply it seems that it is not possible.

Yes, that's right, it is impossible to connect 2 applications to the synthesizer and work with them at the same time.

It would be nice if the Chordana devs made a function to select the midi devices for the midi input and for the midi output, just like on Synthesia. Then it would be possible to connect a midi keyboard or digital piano to the midi input, and the synthesizer itself or another sound module to the midi output.

Edited by casio_style