Video Files on Forum ×

Can a knob be set to send a value in a program change message to an external instrument?

Jay C

Wow, that is a long title. 😬

What I mean by it, is that I want to know, whether I can set up one of the knobs, via the stage setting, on the PX-5S, to dynamically alter the program number, that is sent out in a program change message to an external instrument?

I have already learned at a stage setting can send a one program change message, when that stage setting is selected. I just want to ad the functionality, for the user, to change the value in that program change message with a knob turn, instead of having to go in to the menus.

I wonder if it is done by sending a RPN or NRPN?

Jay🎹

Ok, Thank You.

I guess, I found the one of the limits of what's possible with PX-5S, huh? 😉

Although I read through the midi documentation for this instrument, and searched the interwebs for an explanation on how to do this, I had a feeling that I was asking for too much, in terms of technical capabilities. So, I am glad I can stop looking 😊

Jay🎹

You can set an NRPN to change stage settings on the PX-5S, but that probably wouldn't be interpreted by the external module as a Program Change. It would still leave the PX-5S as a NRPN message.

If you have some kind of filter (like the MIDI Solutions Event Processor), you could easily pull something like this off by assigning an unused CC to the knob and having the filter turn it into a program change. Of course, that's not cheap and it's another piece of gear to have to fiddle with.

If you're lucky, your external module already has a filter you can set for incoming messages. 

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I know this is a bit late, but while you can't set the dial as a program change controller in a stage setting, you can achieve the result of spinning the dial ang changing program settings on an external instrument using:

[Sys Settings] > Sound Generator > Mixer Part1-16 > (choose the part/channel with the -/+ keys to the left of the screen) > Tone

Choose any of the tone banks on the top , then spin Knob K2 to quickly cycle through those programs.  It will change the external keyboard also.

Another way through the stage setting would be to choose the with the +/- keys, pick a Tone bank from the top of the keyboard, then use the +/- keys on the far right to scroll through the various program changes.

• Thanks 1