Video Files on Forum ×

Controlling the Casio CTK-4400 with an external Midi Device

I was recently given an old CTK-4400 from a friend of mine. I am trying to figure out if it's possible to control it with an external midi device (I have a Kawai ES-110 and an Akai MPK Mini MkII). The Kawai ES-110 has 5 pin midi in and out, and the Akai MPK Mini MkII has a USB Type A to USB Type B cable. I am okay with buying a new audio interface if I need to in order to make this happen. The CTK-4400 doesn't have 5-pin midi in or out, but it does have USB connectivity. It uses the General Midi standard, so it should work with Windows 10 and 11, despite the fact that it's only technically compatible with up to Windows 7. 

Hopefully this was helpful and enough information. If not, I'd be happy to supply more info. Thank you!

• 5 months later...

Hello I was fascinated by your question. So, I attempted to research it. At first I asked about the CTK-4400 specifically. But the top results yielded nothing. Then I asked about controlling a portable keyboard. That was unsatisfactory as well. Finally I asked a more generalized question about bidirectional connection between two midi capable devices. And two MIDI devices can be connected to each other. So, it seems by inference that it might be possible to control one with another. I can't get into specifics. But I'm posting a link that I trust will help you get started. All the best to you in your quest

https://www.mspot.com/how-to-connect-two-midi-keyboards/

Edited by smoothjazzaxe
needed to add some words for clarity

1 hour ago, smoothjazzaxe said:

Hello I was fascinated by your question. So, I attempted to research it. At first I asked about the CTK-4400 specifically. But the top results yielded nothing. Then I asked about controlling a portable keyboard. That was unsatisfactory as well. Finally I asked a more generalized question about bidirectional connection between two midi capable devices. And two MIDI devices can be connected to each other. So, it seems by inference that it might be possible to control it one with another. I can't get into specifics. But I'm posting a link that I trust will help you get started. All the best to you in your quest

https://www.mspot.com/how-to-connect-two-midi-keyboards/

This was incredibly helpful, much appreciated.

• Love 1

The CTK4400 uses ONLY USB for midi or does it have a 5 pin din socket set? If it is 5 pin din, you just plug the controller to the midi in of the CTK, and if you want to control another synth or sequencer with the CTK, plug the midi in of the seq to the midi out of the Casio AND the midi out of the seq to the midi in of the Casio. Now if the keyboard is USB only as so may are now, including the new CT-S1000V, then I am afraid you can NOT control another USB only keyboard from the CTK4400 or vice versa. That would mean both keyboards would need to be capable of BEING a USB MIDI HOST like a Computer.. Sadly, you need to buy a USB MIDI HOST interface to allow you to use 5 pin din midi hardware with USB midi ONLY devices.. or stick to lugging around a computer to your gigs if you use a modern Casio with only USB as the midi port.