Video Files on Forum ×

Casio CTS1 Midi Inquiry

CaptainFishboy

I just bought and received a Casio CTS1 in the mail and I have been having a blast playing around with it. I was looking into the MIDI support and being able to record in a DAW on my computer, but all I can find is information on the Bluetooth module that works alongside a mobile device app. I see the USB "to device" and what looks like a micro USB "to host" port but have no clue what they do. I am used to the good old 5 pin midi connectors and have tried watching videos on how to use the USB and micro USB ports on the CTS1, but don't understand the terminology and the newer connectors. Anyone have any idea if I can record midi data in a DAW from the CTS1, and if so, how I can get started down the path on figuring out how to do this?

-Chris

FWIW, my CT-S300 when connected via USB to my computer (9 year old Win10 PC), it is instantly recognized. I can select it as Casio USB from within my DAW, and can both send and receive MIDI data to and from it. I would have even thought the CT-S1 would connect and operate in a similar manner. 

Yes, you can record midi data in a DAW from the CT-S1.  You need to use a micro USB to USB Type A connector.  Connect the micro USB end to the USB to Host port on the CT-S1 and connect the other end to a USB port on your computer.  The computer should automatically recognize the keyboard as a midi device.  I've connected it and it works fine with Reaper.  I'm sure it will work with other DAWs.  You should also be able to receive midi data from the DAW to select and trigger the CT-S1 sounds (it also has General MIDI sound set).  I haven't had a chance to dig deeper into its MIDI capabilities, but here is another thread related to this topic:

• 9 months later...

I know you can change tones, but I am not sure if detune is available via MIDI. Based on the CT-S1 MIDI Implementation Chart near the end of the manual, it does not seem System Common-->Tune can be transmitted or recognized (X for both in the chart). Have any other CT-S1 users been able to access controls to detune via MIDI?

https://support.casio.com/en/manual/manualfile.php?cid=008023005

• 4 months later...

Hi there, i have a Casio CT-S1 for some time now ans i love it but the 61 keys are limiting my work so i want to use the CT-S1 as a sound module and play it with my 88 and 76 keys midi keyboards. As the CT-S1 has o DIN midi IN i purchased a Kenton Midi/USB interface. It works and the CT-S1 responds to my playing but the sounds are cut short, even with the sustain pedal. What could be the issue here? Are there some settings in the CT-S1 ? I already swithed the bluetooth off but no change.

2 hours ago, Brad Saucier said:

Something is not correct with your external controller, cables, or USB converter.  There are no settings in the CT-S1 which can alter note length.  

Hi, The external controller is a Yamaha MoxF, working fine as controller for all my other synths (although with regular midi cables). The Kenton Midi/USB host is brand new and 2 days old, I tried 3 different midi cables (expensive brands) from the MOXF8 midi out to the Kenton midi in, same result... the USB cable from the Kenton to the USB of the CT-S1 is a regular USB-B cable and that's not an expensive one. Could try to change that one and buy a more expensive.

• 10 months later...

Is there a way to use the USB-A to device port for MIDI to either DIN in/out or USB-B? I just picked up the GSI Gemini (USB-B or DIN connections only) and would like to control the module with the CT-S1. I fail to see any ables that are micro-B to either DIN or micro-B to USB-B. Maybe a USB coupler would work? 

22 minutes ago, farfisa benny said:

Is there a way to use the USB-A to device port for MIDI to either DIN in/out or USB-B? I just picked up the GSI Gemini (USB-B or DIN connections only) and would like to control the module with the CT-S1. I fail to see any ables that are micro-B to either DIN or micro-B to USB-B. Maybe a USB coupler would work? 

That's not possible.  USB to device only accepts a USB flash drive.  USB to host must be used for MIDI.  USB to host only accepts a host device.  Some USB MIDI host boxes are out there designed for this, otherwise a computer or smart device is needed.  

• 3 weeks later...