Video Files on Forum ×

CK-500

alfrobinson

Hello folks, so this is my first post in these forums, just got my first ever Casio keyboard  (a roughly beaten up, very dirty and random acting CK-500) and it's a total gem at least for me, my favorite instrument is Teenage Engineering's OP1 so this is is just right up my alley. 

Sadly none of the tape decks are working, they go veeery slow when pushing play.

Also some voices are way louder / distorted / even self oscilating than others. Which I don't mind really.

Wanted to see if anybody got any manuals, tips or interesting mods for my CK-500. I think its guts are the MT-68? Thanks!

RIvu3FS.jpg

• Like 2

Kudos on your find! The tape drives, I think, are direct drive, but I could be wrong. It has been a long time since I had this keyboard and I sold mine back then in the early 2000s on ebay and I regret it. The slowness will be either the motor gears gunked up or if it is rubber band belt driven then it would be the belts being bad and needing replaced as well as the gears being gunked up and needing clened. Now for the Keyboard it is louder by default yes, but the gritty sounds and the self oscillation is the AMP circuit acting up. I have a CT6500 with the same issue, the sounds and functions all work but the sound is distorted and very loud. Funny I did that on purpose on my MT45 years ago lol! Now the sounds and rhythms are from the CT310 cause you only have 12 sounds and 12 beats with the variations just like the CT310. It is WELL worth fixing and keeping this unit. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, FnkyGrov said:

Nice rare find there. Got one myself. MT-65/68/100 guts for sure. Having taken a dive into mine, I can confirm the decks on this are belt-drive, so the belts may be losing their grip after 35 years. And the belts are pretty tiny. Not sure what size but very thin diameter. 

Thankyou for letting us know! I kinda figured belts, but I thought one of these cassette Casios was direct drive? Maybe the KX101? Eitherway, that would explain the slow play on the cassette but the loud melody sounds? That may be AMP circuit/filter related failure or simple fix if known.

• 3 months later...

Eons ago I fixed a Casio KX-101 which drive is more complex (has motors instead of manual switches) In cassette recorders often the rubber tyres on friction wheels get hard. The wheels itself are plastic, and the rubber rings on its rim can be pulled off. Cleaning their rim with isopropanol may help. Also the bearings may need a drop of isopropanol (never other oil, which can decomposes rubber and various plastic sorts).