Video Files on Forum ×

Step sequencer to playback phrases - how?

Jay C

1 hour ago, Jokeyman123 said:

This might help you-thanks to AlenK.

Hey @jokeyman123

Thank you!. I just found answer in the manual - on page E-57. It doesn't say much about how, but just lists the possibility to do it.

If I remember the approach correct, I pressed:

[Step Seq], then [Edit] and in the menu chose  Step Edit [Enter].

From there I chose CT14  via the [Part] buttons. Under step (in the step sequence) to introduce the phase in, there's a menu

-  use either the rotary wheel or the [-] / [+] buttons to select phrase (as the last option).

Below, you can choose NOP (No operation) Start and Stop (of the phrase playback).

The numbers (by default two zeros) to the bottom right determine what pitch the phrase is going to playback in.

Now press [Exit] choose Track Param in the menu [Enter], scroll down to Phase No. and select the Phrase you want to have played back. 

And you're good to go :D (remember to save your changes!)

Jay 🎹

After reviewing all this myself-the manual describes that it can be done-from performance or sequencer mode, but not how! AlenK's explanations on right on target. I've done this process, but I had to review how its done for myself. this XW is a beast-its comprehensive functions are what makes it challenging to work with, but for me, that's part of the fun. I have to learn to "play" the XW as if it is an entirely different set of instruments..at least that's how I approach it. even after using it for quite a few years. 

here's another little trick took me ahwile to figure out-also not really clear in the manual. If I want to record a sequencer "part"-individual drum, chord solo synth part, etc. but by playing on the keys instead of using the sequencer buttons to input sequencer parts-i switch to step edit-then I can record live from the keys instead of the buttons.