Video Files on Forum ×

Casiotone CT 6500 - Turns On , No Sound

HAILHAIL

On 12/8/2021 at 10:54 PM, pianokeyjoe said:

While a dead battery will not necessarily cause the no sound on THIS model keyboard(it will for the CZ101 internal sounds), it can leak and cause damage that way. I suspect a crack on a board, or the amp board having faulty output chip or the ironic loose wires scenario. Be slow, be methodical and be patient when you check everything. Its worth it. I did not see anything obvious on the component si

I really appreciate this forum. I'm new to learning keyboard not but not music. I have several guitars. I too picked up an old CT-6500 and when inspecting it, I should it and heard something pop around.  I came home and discovered that the drum kit doesn't work. So, me, being impatient on my super dirt cheap purchase, decided to take it apart. I found a lonely 1 amp /250 V fuse  bouncing around. I don't see a location for it. Is this the fuse that might control the drum kit and such? Also you say there is a coin type battery, but I only found one, but it's not easy to remove. Is this it in the pic?

pics attached.

Again, I appreciate anything anyone can add to this old topic.

https://imgur.com/gallery/jwiDql1

I have to say, the coin battery is soldered on the board, and no, it is not that easy to pop off. You will need to desolder the battery off the board and then install and solder a coin battery holder instead that you can then swap dead coins out far easier like on computers and modern synths. If you do not know how to do this work, get some one that does. Never try your self or you will ruin the synth needlessly. The fuse came off the power supply board only. Check the Power supply board and you WILL find the missing fuse location. The other place that uses a fuse may be the Audio amp board which is on the opposite end from the power supply and is installed to the TOP section of the keyboard next to the right speaker and has a long aluminum plate that is the POWER AMP heatsink. Which could explain the no beats volume. But that could be a dead or dirty slider too since the slider is more exposed to the elements. A fuse bouncing around inside and yet the keyboard powers up, is odd so check that PSU board and POWER AMP board for that mystery. The no sound for beats, check your sliders. For the battery, you could snip the leads right AT THE BATTERY, and then you can solder a coin battery holder with wire leads pre wired, to the appropriate battery leads that you leave on the board(you cut only the battery away and leave the lead stumps in), making sure the (-) and (+) leads correspond to the new coin battery compartment lead wires(Black for Negative or (-), and red for Positive or (+)).

Ok that’s what I needed to know, the other location. It’s not the power or the board next to it. I count 4 good fuses there. I will check next under and to the right speaker. I am confident enough to solder a new coin holder in place! Thank you!

..regarding the no beats/slider, none of the other sliders have any issues as far as weird sounds when I move them. I’m hoping this missing fuse will fix the entire beat section. None of the lights come on at all in the beats section…

thanks again for your help!

Edited by picklebush
I can only make two post a day, so I just edited this one add some

On 1/29/2023 at 6:36 PM, pianokeyjoe said:

The other place that uses a fuse may be the Audio amp board which is on the opposite end from the power supply and is installed to the TOP section of the keyboard next to the right speaker and has a long aluminum plate that is the POWER AMP heatsink.

I can’t find it. I’m there… got heat sink out… no fuse holder anywhere.ppft. I’m at a loss. See pic https://imgur.com/a/lQkMIfG

On 1/11/2022 at 1:02 PM, IanB said:

At one time I was considering trying to write a new ROM to give more flexibility (e.g. 16 single line voices, or 8 dual line Monosynths running different patches, etc), but documentation on the 7811 microcontrollers is sparse and incomplete and it looked very much like a rabbit hole I'd regret falling down so I abandoned that project.

The D7811 CPU nowadays has been documented by the MAME team to emulate Casio RZ-1 etc.

https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/UPD7810/uPD7811

http://zine.r-massive.com/casio-rz-1-firmware-hacking/

However the D7811 is a D7810 with 4K internal ROM, so (depending on its wiring) it may be impossible to make it execute different code from an external eprom if it reuses the same pins for something else.

Edited by CYBERYOGI =CO=Windler
  • Like 1
  • Love 1