Video Files on Forum ×

Configurations for stage keyboard, splits etc.

oildrops

Hey, I'm curious what XW-P1 users have done for a stage keyboard configuration, assuming you want to use bread and butter tones over the course of a set- organ, piano, EPs, clav, synth lead etc. I'm looking for ideas on how to set it up for quick tone access.

My example is the organ - the organ mode can't be split, and the bass is too low in the mix vs the higher notes. I've been trying to come up with a tone where I can bring a synth bass in and out of the tone.

I've tried a few ways to go about this using hex layers, performance, or a combination but with limited success. With a hex layer, there is no drawbar or rotary effect, however there is real time control by layering PCM organs and using the sliders, and using an external pedal for rotary effect. I've set up a couple of hex layers with a left hand EP or synth bass which sounds okay, but the organ is then limited to what you can find in the PCM library.

The major plus with keyboard splits in performance mode is that organ drawbars or solo synth controls can be active. I am also able to layer user tones rather than only PCM sounds. The downside is that if I have a bass tone on the left hand, there is no real time control over the volume, or ability to bring a part in and out without going into the mixer.

Edited by oildrops

• oildrops changed the title to Configurations for stage keyboard, splits etc.

the dsp includes a couple of rotaries but nothing to write home about---the drawbar with it's rotary with brake parameter is fun but takes some learning i,the switch  for the fast /slow on the brake can be  toggled to another unwanted job so you might have to learn about that.

The bass on the organ--- even if splitting in an octave down instrument on the left it is not something to write home about. no matter how many times you set the levels to be even ---somewhere one of the two will be too loud or the opposite. I do get by with it ,by keeping things simple.

An octave down done wonders last night on a piano preset ,I was trying to learn lady madonna ,it has a lot of left hand going on,for my limited ability that is

On 12/7/2021 at 8:25 PM, Tom banjo said:

the dsp includes a couple of rotaries but nothing to write home about---the drawbar with it's rotary with brake parameter is fun but takes some learning i,the switch  for the fast /slow on the brake can be  toggled to another unwanted job so you might have to learn about that.

The bass on the organ--- even if splitting in an octave down instrument on the left it is not something to write home about. no matter how many times you set the levels to be even ---somewhere one of the two will be too loud or the opposite. I do get by with it ,by keeping things simple.

An octave down done wonders last night on a piano preset ,I was trying to learn lady madonna ,it has a lot of left hand going on,for my limited ability that is

You get it. I'm using a Digitech Ventura vibe for rotary, but often will use the speed up button additionally depending on which hand is free, or use the chorus organ preset for more variety.

• Like 1