Video Files on Forum ×

Issue with Casio CZ-101 recognizing MIDI notes

avisioncame

Hi all.

I am currently trying to trigger my Casio CZ-101 using midi via my DAW (FL Studio).

I am using the midi out port from M-audio Fast Track Pro, leading into the IN port on my Casio CZ-101.

I have the Casio's MIDI channel set to 1 from the settings on the 101, although I have scrolled through trying all channels.

In FL Studio I have the MIDI Output set to my Fast Track Pro, Port 1 (also, tried different ports), and then a Midi Out channel in the channel rack with input port 1, and channel 1 (again, cycled through different ports and channels).

Using the MIDI out from the Casio and into my interface, I do get a response - I can use the 101 to trigger instruments in the FL Studio project like a MIDI controller. 

I am beginning to think the MIDI input port on the 101 is simply faulty. The pitch bend wheel does not work either (suspiciously right next to the MIDI input)

Other things I have tried.

Fresh batteries (it is connected via power supply as well)
Reset the "P" button while powered on.
Using MidiOx to try and fumble around to achieve some type of result

It would awesome if anyone could mention something I might be missing. Thanks!

Others here might have a different view, but I'd crack the case open and have a look. The pitch bend not working is kinda suspicious. In hardware terms, the MIDI in goes into an opto-isolator then straight into a CPU, so there's not much to go wrong. If the CPU isn't working, nothing else will either. So my initial suspicion would be some local damage on the PCB, which should be fairly easy to remedy.

Just to rule out any potential issue with FL Studio and/ your M-Audio interface, have you tried another (known working) keyboard in place of the CZ101? If that triggers fine,  then the CZ is likely at fault. If the other keyboard also doesn't work,  then the issue likely lies with the FL settings and/ or the M-Audio settings.

Also, another thing you can try is to set the FL/ M-Audio midi channel to "All". Then it won't matter what channel the CZ is set to.

Lastly, in the CZ midi settings, maybe toggle "Program Change" between "ENA" & "DIS" and see if that makes a difference. 

20220105_155636.thumb.jpg.61c3ab4d747ee91131acdc1f495834fb.jpg

• Like 1

When you open the CZ101 bare in mind the battery compartment. If you see ANY battery corrosion residue ANYWHERE, especially near where the Pitch bend would be, and the jack board(oh oh, I am starting to get that familiar feeling again), you may see some damage on the traces due to battery acid/alkali. Or as lanB suggests, there may be cracks to look for on the circuit boards near there on the very midi jack board. Take pictures of the inside in good big pics so we can see and point out any issues you may miss. Thankfully, this is one keyboard there are parts still out there for, though used, but still out there.