Video Files on Forum ×

CT-S1: 'extended midi' and Android Midi Commander setup file

Vcombo

Hi,

some month ago I had the S1 for testing. One target was to exploit its midi capabilities.

But then I forgot to publish the results in Casio Forum - finally here it is  ;) 

In short: There's not much that can be done to  'CT S1 keyboard layer'.

But CT-S1 has also an inbuild GM sound layer. This layer contains the standard 'GM-1' sound palette but also the CT-S1 'keyboard' sounds (including the vintage synths).

The GM layer can be 'played' with external keys  (midi keyboard + usb-host) or by sending midi note/on-off from the CTS1 keys back into the GM layer.

For the latter purpose one can use e.g. the (free) Android-app 'Midi-Commander'  for which I made a little setupfile ;)

Using the GM layer offers additional features:

1. increased multi-timbrality: in theory one can layer all 16 midi channels  + 2 CT-s1 layers ... in real life, CT-polyphony of 32-stereo makes this soon an end ;))

2. modding sounds by standard GM midi controllers, as there are:

pitch, mod, panpot, damper soft/sostenuto/sustain, filter-cutoff, ADR-envelope, vibrato, portamento, reverb, chorus, master-tune

This is extremely nice when applied to the VX/CZ patches - I could create some very nice synth sounds :)

('glitch': GM filter-resonance does not work - maybe a bug  or limitation by performance)

Now what does the 'App' do? Connected to the CT, it:

- receives Note-On-offs from the CT keys an send them back to a GM layer

- allows to use the GM controllers to modify a sound (live)

- allows to create 'patches' for loading sounds from GM layer (including 'GM-1 and CT- sounds) and adding GM-controller modifications

A resumee of the CT-S1 GM midi stuff and a MidiCommander setup file is included in the attached zip-file (if someone tells me which category to use for CT-1s I can also upload it to the download section)

CT_S1_Midi_091.zip

Edited by Vcombo
  • Like 3

• Vcombo changed the title to CT-S1: 'extended midi' and Android Midi Commander setup file

This is great!  You even included a manual on how to set it up. Unfortunately it does not work with Bluetooth, but wired up it works great!  I've had MIDI commander installed on my phone for ages and have been meaning to figure out what it might be capable of with the CT-S1.  Thank you for sharing!  

This is probably the best spot for the file. We don't have a category in the downloads section for the CT-S1 since it has no storage ability of it's own.