Video Files on Forum ×

Strange noise after key release, GP 310

Laowai

Hello!

I've bought a brand-new Casio GP 310 two weeks ago. It was fine out of the box, but after two weeks of intensive (2-3 hours a day) use, I've found out that some keys begin to make some strange noise after release. It's not very consistent (sometimes I can reproduce it very easily, sometimes not), and it's not very loud, but you can surely hear it when playing something softly and slowly, it's very irritating. 

I don't know how to describe it correctly, you can hear it in this vid. It sounds like mouse clicks or sth like that.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NH0t4OXM3iRFj651kgtnWqvfyivFVcmd/view?usp=sharing

Have someone faced the same problem? Have you managed to fix it?

I'm going to wait for couple of weeks\month to see if this problem gonna spread put, by now there are around 10 keys with this noise, all within the range of one octave. After that I'll get in touch with my local warranty service. Just wanna know if this kind of problem serious and difficult to fix.

Thanks in advance! 

This is apparently a problem with these instruments (but I don't know how common it is - see earlier posts "rattling", "clunking" noises etc.), but it doesn't appear to be fixable, even though one of the posts says "fixed". as I've communicated with these players.

It can be best described as "hammer bobbling".

If you look inside the piano, you can see how the hammer bobbles more on certain keys, resulting in the extended mechanical sound.  Casio seriously tried to help me with this issue. Casio even provided a new keyboard unit, but alas the problem continued, only with different keys /hammers causing the same bobbling. I've learned to live with it by accepting it as an unfixable problem and have more or less learned how to ignore it in most situations. The last tech person Casio sent me was a very knowledgeable piano tech in both acoustic and electric pianos. In the end, though, he wasn't able to determine how to fix it (and he tried). It is only bothersome when I'm playing a waltz (Satie's Gymnopédies, for example) when a few of the bass keys stand alone due to a quick lift off the key, then I notice the intruding mechanical, bobble noise. Other than this situation, it's generally not noticeable. If you become fixated with that mechanical noise, it'll  interfere with your performance and enjoyment. I still love the piano. It just has this flaw. I wish I could say it's fixable.

Edited by Bohemian
clarification

12 hours ago, Bohemian said:

This is apparently a problem with these instruments (but I don't know how common it is - see earlier posts "rattling", "clunking" noises etc.), but it doesn't appear to be fixable, even though one of the posts says "fixed". as I've communicated with these players.

Thank you very much for your answer, much appreciated! 

So the noise on the B3-flat which we can hear in the video I've uploaded can be described as "hammer bobbling", it's the same kind of noise as in your unit, do I understand correctly?

I wish my piano would make those noises in the lower keys, cause now it has the issue only with the keys in the first and second octave, with B3 and B3 flat being most noticable, so it can be rather disturbing xD But the more I play, the more I get used to it though. 

I still love this piano as well, and I don't regret buying it surely. The touch of it's keys is magnificent and way better than other non-hybrid DPs on the market, being comparable only with Kawai CA series (Grand Feel), but I still liked Casio's touch more. Sound is very decent too. 

If this kind of noise doesn't get worse in future, I will accept it I think. 

The bobbling hammer issue is contained in the lower registers (1st, 2nd, and 3rd to lesser degree). I didn't notice it right away. I had the piano (GP-300) about 4 years before it became noticeable to my ears. And then I looked on this forum and saw that others were having the same issue. So I called Casio. Casio first sent replacement felts. That changed nothing. Then Casio sent a new keyboard unit. Unfortunately, the unit had the same issue but with different keys, but not nearly so loud. Finally, a more qualified technician came who seemed genuinely interested in solving the problem. He lowered all hammers from 1/2" to 1/32" of wrist rail. I believe that helped some. He didn't know what else to do and saw the problem as inherent in the construction of this instrument. He said for the price, it's a very good instrument, but if the bobbling became louder and more noticeable or widespread throughout the keyboard, then there's a serious  problem with the instrument. I think it might also be more noticeable under certain humidity conditions. When I'm not playing, I keep the lid closed. It might mean that the keyboard needs to be regulated now and then, making sure the hammers are equally spaced from the rail.

I went to a showroom that had the GP-500. I don't know how long it had been there, but I tested it for bobbling hammers. It did have the issue in some of its keys/hammers in the lower registers.

Like I said previously, despite this fault, I still enjoy playing my piano. Overall, the Casio Grand Hybrid is integrated very well with its various components. I do wish Casio would take a serious look at this issue, though. I think it's overlooked by players, and it probably has a lot to do with the manner and sensitivity in which they perform.

Note: I've attached a short video that illustrates a bobbling hammer prior to getting the new keyboard unit and prior to the last tech person Casio sent me who adjusted the distance between the hammer and the rail. You might need to adjust the volume on your device to fully appreciate the difference.

Edited by Bohemian
to illustrate the bobbling hammer issue