Video Files on Forum ×

Can CT-S300/CT-S400 play into "computer" via MIDI and get music back via audio-in?

Hi everybody, 

I'm new here, and I'm pondering getting a CT-S300 or CT-S400, mainly because of their compactness. I've done some extensive research about those models, but could not figure this out through review/tutorial videos or the manuals: 

Can you use the CT-S300 or CT-S400 as a midi controller to play into a computer or tablet (DAW, VST(i) host or standalone piano app) and feed the music (the sounds coming from the computer) back into the audio-in?

This could give you an awesome, minimalistic mobile setup with just the keyboard and a tablet (or even your smartphone): Playing on the keyboard and having the complete variety of sounds from the app (maybe much better than the included ones) to choose from. Sound quality would clearly be better with an extenal amp/speakers, but that wouldn't be as mobile. 

The manuals seem to hint into this direction, but I'm not sure I interpret the possibilites of the keyboards correctly. 

TIA

Yes I know that the required ports are there, but I was afraid that e.g. one of them could be automatically muted in such a situation. There is no explicit mention of using MIDI-out and playing back audio-in simultaneously in the manuals. 

Good point about a possible ground loop though. 

Has anybody really tried this with the CT-S300/400?

I've seen someone doing something similar with a Yamaha PSS-A50, but he was only using the DAW as a man-in-the-middle recording device, with the keyboard playing back the received MIDI data (coming from the same USB cable) using its own built-in sounds.

UPDATE: I just found out that another member had already (successfully) tried what I want to accomplish. Unfortunately, I hadn't found that other thread before I posted this question: 

https://www.casiomusicforums.com/index.php?/topic/17213-casiotone-ct-s-series-as-midi-controllers/

I was glad to read that i seems to work without any noticeable latency (and saddened to learn that there is no MIDI clock sync).

Edited by timbr