Video Files on Forum ×

RBK Mixer Hub Thread (Layer & Split Volume Balance Fix for CT-X700 X800 X870IN and CDP-S350)

Chandler, I tried again but I think the problem might be that when I change the file name, (it was CANK08.RBK and I changed to WFRK08.RBK) I get the message, " Oh no something went wrong exporting WFRK08.RBK to E:\MUSICDAT\.  But if I don't change the name, leaving it as CANK08.RBK it says success. But the volume doesn't change. 

I'm not sure how to attach the RBK file to this conversation; no "attach" or paper clip to do that like on a regular email. 

thanks, 

Warren

@WarrenF

Hmmm, that’s odd. I’m guessing the problem might be caused by exporting the file directly back to the MUSICDAT folder on your flash drive, although that should still work (assuming the flash drive remains connected to your computer during this whole process). I’ll try a test on my Windows machine later but I don’t remember this being an issue during testing.

Try this in the meantime: copy the unmodified RBK file to another folder on your computer (I.e. not inside MUSICDAT folder, and not on the flash drive at all). Then, when you open RBK Mixer and click import, select the file in its new location (on your computer’s local storage, not the flash drive) and import it. Make your changes to the volume levels and the name, and export the file to see if it gives you the error message.

If it doesn’t give you the error, you should find the modified RBK file in the same folder as the original one (but again, it will be in your computer’s storage, not the flash drive). Copy this file back on to the MUSICDAT folder of your flash drive and then import it to your CDP-S360 to see if the volume changes work.

This is mostly just to see if the flash drive is the issue. Importing and exporting directly from the flash drive shouldn’t be an issue, but if this workaround gets you up and running in the meantime, I can look into what might be causing the flash drive to give you an error.

Another question: when you export with the same name from RBK mixer and it shows “success” does the “Last Modified” time stamp update as well (you can see this when you view the file in Windows file explorer) Even if the file name stays the same, RBK Mixer’s volume changes still constitute a modification to the file, so the time stamp should update to reflect the time that you clicked “Export”.

Edited by Chandler Holloway

Hi Chandler and thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately no success. I tried putting the rbk file in documents, imported into the mixer and changed volume. Renamed it and got the same oops message. Changed back to original file name and success. However there were no changes made to volume, same as before. As for the date modified, the original rbk file was dated 12/31/2017 11:00pm and has never changed. Also the file size is shown as 2kb. That can't be right?
When I originally downloaded the rbk mixer, there were 3 versions and I chose the most recent which was 11/26/21, 18 months old. Maybe I'm working with an old version? It's version 0 bugfixes pre-release. 

Warren

Another thought, have you tested the program on the CDP s360? Most of the references are for the 350 which is almost the same keyboard but... If you haven't, perhaps you could make a simple RBK file for me to import and test on my 360.  eg stage piano with the split being acoustic bass. Volume set max on bass and maybe half on piano. 

Hi Warren,

Thanks for pointing out the version number. Our releases page hadn't been updated to show the most recent version, which is my mistake for not reminding my dev partner to update it.

We have a new version from July of 2022 that I personally tested with the CDP-S360 (version 0.3.1)

I have attached the .MSI installer file to this post. Please uninstall the previous version of RBK Mixer and try this one (both direct from the MUSICDAT folder on your flash drive, and with it copied to your computer's storage).

RBK Mixer_0.3.1_x64_en-US-1.msi

I uninstalled the original RBK mixer. Tried to load the new version,  Avast was blocking it but I finally got it installed. But it didn't really run. So I tried again with the antivirus turned off and it loaded and seemed like it wanted to work. import allowed me to choose between the USB and the file I had imported previously to my docs. But unlike the old version, it didn't import the instrument names. I could change the volumes with the sliders. I could change the file name. But hitting the export button did nothing. The new version you sent is dated 7/13/22 6878kb. I think I'm more stuck than I was before. 

Warren

Hi Warren,

Try this file (attached to this post), I made it for you using the same v.0.3.1 copy of RBK Mixer you tried to install. Registration Slot 1 has Piano at volume 100 out of 127, slot 2 has piano at 90 out of 127, slot 3 has piano at 80, slot 4 at 70. Hopefully one of them keeps the piano quiet enough for you. You asked for half volume on piano but in my experience, anything below 70ish is really dang quiet. It may load in with Upper 2 (strings) enabled, just turn that off and re-save it to the same slot if need be. The only S360 files I have on hand were from preliminary compatibility testing a long time ago so I don't really remember how I set them up. If you need to change the upper or lower tones around after loading them in, this won't undo the volume changes applied by RBK Mixer, so you can use these files as a template and just re-configure the tones on Upper1, Upper2 and Lower as needed.

If this file loads in and you hear the volume changes properly, then the problem has to be with your computer or the installation somewhere along the line since I successfully used the exact same version of the software on my Windows 10 rig.

Sometimes on the first run of the program, it may come up with a gray screen. Right clicking inside the gray window and clicking refresh should solve this problem, and fixes the issue of the instrument names not updating from time to time. When you go to load in your RBK files and it seems like the instrument names don't update, try right click -> refresh and see if that fixes it.

Clicking the export button should give you an error message or a success message. If nothing happens when you click it, then something's definitely off.

One thing that helped a past user with firewall/antivirus issues was uninstalling, re-running the .MSI installer and then selecting a location other than Program Files (the default installation location), like your Documents folder. You might have better luck this way, but I don't really know how your antivirus and firewall set-up interacts with the program so I don't know if I can recommend much else from here. I'll ask my dev buddy if there's another way we can diagnose your problem if you still can't get it working. 

WarrenS360Bank.RBK

Hi Chandler, I was able to load the file and install in my 360.  I do hear a volume difference especially at 70. One unexpected thing is that the sound is coming from  the right channel when choosing 70,  with a tiny bit in the left. The 80 setting had the piano sound coming mainly from the left channel.  Perhaps the pan function was set that way. Which gives me an idea. If I were to pan the piano right and the bass left and then output to different channels in my amp, I could adjust the relative volumes via the amp rather than needing to set up various levels in the registration banks. Yes? 

I haven't had a chance yet to try again to get the RBK mixer runningin my computer but will later and report back. Could it be a Windows 11 issue? I'm kind of wishing I hadn't downloaded the update. Would the program run on Vista? My 2009 computer still works fine.

Warren

I deleted the RBK program and reinstalled it after turning Avast off. I saved it to the documents file rather than program file but got the same results. It seems to allow me to import an RBK file but doesn't show the instruments but does show the file name in the upper window. Changing the name or not, the export function doesn't work at all. In that early version I got further than now. 

Answered my own question about Vista. Perhaps I need to borrow my son's laptop to see if it'll work.  

Could it be Windows 11? Warren

We had a Windows 11 tester during beta testing and he never had any problems, so I wouldn't think it's necessarily that.

I'm not sure why your export button isn't working, but in the meantime, here's a .ZIP file containing a bunch of S360 templates. I apologize for the panning issues with the initial files, they should be fixed now. There's a separate folder in here called "Template Settings", containing screenshots of the settings for each slot in the RBK files. Again, you should be able to import the bank, switch up your tone selection, effects, tempo, rhtyhm etc and then re-save them in new registration slots. I would recommend reserving Bank 8 as a junk bank for loading in these temporary templates, then organize your actual registrations in banks 1-7 until you run out of space.

If there's anything more specific you need, I can try to make you more custom banks, but obviously giving you the means to make them on your own is preferable.

I'm unsure of what's causing your problems, but if you get it to work trying another Windows machine, let me know. In the meantime, hopefully these templates are enough to get the job done as a stopgap measure in the interim. I've let my dev partner know about your issues and we're not sure how to diagnose the problem given that it has worked properly on our computers. If I have any updates, I'll keep you posted.

S360 Templates.zip

Thanks for sending the templates. I'll work with these tomorrow. Meantime, I am using my son's windows 8 and couldn't figure out how to do much, but then switched from Internet Explorer to Chrome and things looked familiar again. I downloaded the revise RBK install you sent me, but I'm getting the same results. Import changes the file location and name, but instruments not shown and the export button does nothing. So apparently it's me, not the windows version, that is doing something wrong. Maybe I need to wipe it all clean and start from the beginning. Is there anything I could send you that would help diagnose the issue?  

Warren

Hi Chandler, I opened the Templates.zip file which  gives me a folder labeled S360 Template Files that when opened reveals 6 RBK files. I used the  360 U1 Quiet RBK file and loaded it into my keyboard and it appears to have worked. I'm assuming that you set up slot 1 as the highest volume and slot 4 as the lowest. The panning is centered now. I don't see the separate folder "Template Settings" showing screenshots that you mentioned. They would be helpful showing the volume levels you chose, as a learning tool for the future, if I ever actually get the mixer to work on my computer. 

One additional RBK file that I'd like to try would just leave the volumes at max, but pan the U1 and U2 full right and L full left. That would give stereo separation and allow volume adjustments to be made on an external mixer or amp volume controls. I think. 

Meanwhile, I'm going to try to start over with the RBK mixer uninstalling and reinstalling the newer version you sent me. Thanks for the help; sorry for taking so much of your time. 

Warren

I loaded the old version of RBK mixer and was able to import your file 360 U1 quiet which showed the instrument names and the volume levels you had set. I tried changing a volume level and exporting to my usb ; changing the file name gave me an export error so I tried again by making the Q a q and that time it said success, but when I look at the USB files, I don't see it. At least now I know what volume levels you used. Warren

The old version of RBK Mixer will not be able to export any S360 files due to the mismatch in the header data of the file. You will only ever get this to work on the new version, v0.3.1

On the new version, on either the Windows 11 or Windows 8 PC, has right clicking inside the window and selecting refresh ever made things start working? As in, added the instrument names and allowed the export button to work properly?

They were made on an S360, and you shouldn't need to edit the templates with RBK Mixer at all. The templates are pre-edited to make specific parts quieter. I figured there are enough combinations of volume levels that the banks will suit your needs, as-is, until you can figure out what's gone wrong with your computer. You can load them on to your S360 without any editing, then change the assigned tones, effects, rhythms, tempo etc and re-save a new registration in a different bank/slot. The screenshots included in the template files show the values for each slot in each file for reference.

The only way I've been able to get the window to display no instrument names and go unresponsive to all input (as you seem to be describing) is if my last known import location was a flash drive that his since been removed from the computer. Like, if in my last session involved editing files on a flash drive, but I have removed that flash drive in the interim, the next time running RBK Mixer I get the mixer screen with no instrument names and a grey rectangle showing "loading" at the bottom of the window. But I've always been able to fix that by simply importing a new file that's not on a flash drive, like my documents folder. But you say you've been importing from and exporting to your documents folder already, so you shouldn't be having this issue at all.

By "doesn't change anything", you mean you don't even see the option to refresh the screen? Like in this screenshot below?

image.png.b8b92d4ea040ed53d4264272536533fa.png

I pulled  the USB drive out of the computer. Moved one template file from download to the documents file. 360U1U2Quiet.RBK. Imported into the mixer. The gray and blue boxes show the correct location and file. No instruments or volume settings are shown. I CAN see the refresh dialog box by right clicking within the RBK mixer but refreshing appears to do something, but no changes are made. Choosing the classic or cool screen doesn't matter either. 

Is there a way to tell if the RBK mixer program is being fully and properly imported ? At one point, I think on the older version, I got a window that when I was shutting down the program warned me that the program was not finished importing. I didn't get that warning with the new version.  Attached is the installation file I downloaded from you.

Finally , how do I view the screenshots included in the template files? If I try to open a given file, windows asks me what program I want to use , eg adobe, picassa, windows media viewer, none of which work. ( As I mentioned earlier,the way I could see the settings screenshot is when I imported into the old version of RBKmixer. That showed volume setting as well as the instrument names. But the new version doesn't)

RBK Mixer_0.3.1_x64_en-US-1 (2).msi

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Warren, sorry for the delayed response. Might make more sense to move further troubleshooting to the github page if you keep having problems, the dev team is monitoring that more closely than this forum topic but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

The sign that files have been properly imported is that the instrument names will update to show the tones you chose for your registrations. If your files include previous volume level adjustments (like my template files do), then the sliders and values will update along with the tone names. If you scroll down to the bottom of the RBK Mixer page and it still says "Importing..." in a gray text box after a long wait then something has gone wrong that is delaying the importing. These RBK files are just a bunch of numeric values that tell the keyboard which settings to adjust, so they're extremely small in terms of file size. They shouldn't be taking a long time to finish importing, often less than a second or two on my machine.

Have you been able to get the template files I provided to load into your CDP-S360, un-edited? As in, bypassing RBK Mixer completely and just dropping the template files on to the flash drive and importing them via the Media menu on the S360. They should be able to provide the volume level tweaks you need in the meantime while we're troubleshooting RBK Mixer. Those template files were created using v.0.3.1 on my Windows machine, so if those loaded into your CDP-S360 without error (and recalling the Registration slots applies the volume level changes as expected), then we know the problem has to be with your installation or your computer.

On the subject of your computer, first I'd like to get a System Information file from your primary Windows 11 machine. This file will tell me all the hardware and operating system specs of your machine (no private information, just the specs) just so I can verify that this isn't a bigger compatibility issue I've overlooked. I'm doubtful that it's a hardware or OS incompatibility but it doesn't hurt to check. If you're unsure of how to create a system information file, this guide should help. You can attach the .NFO file here in your response.

Here's the system info files you asked for.  To answer your question, yes I was able to load one of the templates on my keyboard and the volumes changed as desired. I was not able to actually see the levels but could tell from listening. 

Here's a stupid question; once I have chosen a registration bank and then want to revert back to the normal factory setup, how do I? Turning the machine off does the trick. Thanks, Warrensysinfofile.nfo