Video Files on Forum ×

Changing Stage Settings with Mainstage

Stefan Ley

Hi there!

I want to select change the Stage Settings with Mainstage, but the PX5s doesn't react. On the first topic Mike Martin writes:

• How do you select Stage Settings from MIDI (Another keyboard or iPad Remote Control)?
    • Bank 112, followed by a program change 0-99 will select the Stage Settings

I tried sending Bank Select with MSB 112 and LSB 0-99 - no reaction.

I tried sending Bank Select with MSB 112, LSB off and Program Change 0-99 - no reaction.

Setting SysSetting - Midi - StageSetChg to NRPN - no reaction

Setting SysSetting - Midi - StageSetChg to PrgBnk - the program change effects the zone and changes the tones in an order that I don't understand.

I tried Midi Channel 1 (my default channel) and channel 1-16.

Midi RX-Filters are all set to off. The PX5s is connected via USB, Firmware is 1.13.

Any idea what's my error? Or do you know any topic on that problem? I could find nothing, unfortunately.

Thank you!

• 1 year later...

Also failing with this task. 

What I see, using 112 for bank value PrgBank set, basic chan 5, no filtering, is that program change moves through

the tone presets starting with whatever tone group the currently selected stage setting uses for zone 1.  So if I'm on stage setting 0,0 using a piano tone, I step through piano tones.   Actually I'm not sure it's zone 1 - just changed to a rhodes setting using hex layer for zone 1 and it starte cycling through electric piano patches, which all the other zones reference though they are off.  

I'm not sure if there's another place to do this, but I went to the midi tab under the concert,  changed device from all to the specific one that I'm testin, changed channels from 1-16 to 5,  tried with and without Send unused program changes to channel strips.  

I seem to get similar / same behavior - single tone changes running up from somewhere in the tone bank for the currently selected stage setting.  If I pick a different tone group, program changes operate within that tone group.

Under settings/midi,I might guess Setup button but that takes me into audio settings. 

I noticed that you can add channel strip components, so I added midi output on the external instrument channel strip. 

This did not show the settings from the concert but had reverted 1-16.  I changed the channel strip level to use channel 5 but didn't see any difference in the behavior. 

Yes, I think I mentioned that in the first post.   You used a phrase like master control channel,  which might be a problem.  Is that something besides what is labeled basic channel?  I spent some time with the getting started and midi implementation and don't remember seeing anything with that label.   That was the next thing I thought I'd try digging into (again). 

I am also using a midi in from my interface (not usb) , both are on. 

Sorry,  I think it was on another site that someone used that phrase.  Looking at the manual it seemed to me that basic control channel was what was wanted, it was the only likely sounding  option in the menus. 

I observe that setting basic channel to 5,  Mainstage does program changes on channel 5 in the mixer (while the stage setting is unchanged).  I know this because in Mainstage I connect another keyboard as input to the Mainstage control strip.  Otherwise with channel 5 (instead of the default 1-16) I don't hear changes when playing the PX5S keyboard.  

Thanks for all the suggestions, Brad.   
In mainstage I have Send Program Change selected, and Send Bank Select on the midi out tab. 

One thing I noice is that the program change happens whether or not Bank select is 112, so that either seems not to be sent or not received.   The mac I'm running Mainstage on has no other midi apps installed so I'd have to do some work to snoop on the messages, maybe install a midi python lib and send to the IAC midi channel. 

I did just notice in Mainstage there are two places to set the Bank Select / PC ;  under patch settings / attributes,  and on the external instrument channel strip.  I just tried the patch settings checkboxes which were unchecked, this seems not to have any effect immediatley when dragging the program change slider,  or if I select another patch and return to the one with the channel strip sending.  

I did a little searching for specific instructions for Mainstage and the PX-5S in our Facebook group since I don't use Mainstage personally. 

1. Click on the channel strip in Mainstage designated for the PX-5S. 

2. Click on MIDI Output in the "External Instrument Channel Inspector".

3. Set "Send Bank Select" to Bank MSB 112 and Bank LSB 0.

4. Set "Send Program Change" to 0 for the first Stage Setting (bank 0, program 0 on the PX-5S).  Add 1 to the number for each successive stage settings.  

MSB & LSB numbers never change. Only the program change is different for each Stage Setting. This is exactly the same to send program changes to the PX-5S from any other hardware or software.

FB_IMG_1697942217934.jpgtoFB_IMG_1697942223695.jpgFB_IMG_1697942228699.jpg

That seems like where I started.  I may get around to trying to snoop the midi via IAC.   Mainstage has a builtin midi monitor but it only shows incoming messages, as far as I can tell.  I don't see anything when the program changes (but not stage settings in spite of MSB 112 LSB 0 or none) are happening.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Check your PX-5s Sys Setting > MIDI > pg 4 > Stage Set Chg

This will output the stage settings changes as either Program change or as NRPN so maybe the NRPN is showing in Mainstage

Program Change format (in Hex)

B0 00 70

B0 20 00

C0 00

Dec

176 0 112

176 32 0

192 0

NPRN Format (Hex)

B0 63 24

B0 62 00

B0 06 40