Video Files on Forum ×

Does CT-S1000v accept a simple MIDI in signal?

Gotta say, after just a day I'm really wowed by the sounds and the intuitive interface of this board. Bravo Casio. Stumped by something tho: is it possible to send a clock signal from a drum machine to the CT and have it follow clock? I've read the manual a couple of times now and it looks like the USB connections are all computer-dependent. I don't use a computer in my setup so I'm hoping to get the Casio to follow the tempo of lthe TR-8 drum machine. is this even possible with the right adapter?

thanks in advance....

The USB MIDI port is labeled as a "to host" port, which is to say it needs a host device to function.  Host devices can be computer, mobile smart device, or a MIDI host box.  

CT-S1000V does indeed have a sync mode, which needs to be set to slave if you want it to follow MIDI clock.  If you use any of the above devices, it would work as expected. 

Hi Casiokid --

Could you maybe add a little more information? 

I connected my CT-S1000V to a Windows PC running MIDI-OX. The cable connects the CT-S1000V's USB micro To HOST port to the PC. MIDI-OX displays MIDI messages from the CT-S1000V including note ON/OFF.

Perhaps you have something different in mind?

All the best -- pj

Since keyboard manufacturers have moved away from providing the original 5-Pin DIN Midi sockets on their keyboards connecting midi equipment, via a separate USB to DIN Host unit seems to vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Casio and Yamaha will not  transmit via USB via a Host unit to stand alone 5 Pin Midi equipment whereas Korg does allow  such connectivity via their USB keyboard sockets.   

When midi first arrived in the market it was proclaimed to be a 'universal' means of connectivity, but with the emergence of solely USB midi connections on keyboards Casio and Yamaha only allow their  keyboards to 'speak' to computers and not other freestanding midi equipment which can only be connected via 5 Pin Midi DIN sockets

• 2 weeks later...

using the Bluetooth adaptor, and I'm just trying to have the CR-S 1000v  be slave to a MIDI clock from a drum machine. it's getting the signal but I don't see a way to change the MIDI settings to allow the rhythm/arp tempo to follow the clock while also playing the keyboard. could not find this in the manual! thanks in advance for the help....

But can anyone explain this weirdness: I have local control on, and the Casio is following tempo from the drum machine. but after like 4-5 minutes, the rhythm stops and local control is off. only the drum machine is sending midi to the Casio, which is set to slave. not sure why this is happening.....thanks in advance....

not sure if this is a bug but it keeps happening -- something in the MIDI chain (either the Casio adaptor or the wireless midi transmitter) sends things out of a simple MIDI receive state after 4-5 minutes. I then have to reset the midi settings and this corrects it but only temporarily. any fix ideas? thanks

No — I don’t use a computer. The midi master in my setup is a drum machine. MIDI info goes: out from drum machine to a midi junction box (1 input 4 outputs), one of those is wireless midi and that is paired w/ the Casio.

Thanks Brad