Video Files on Forum ×

Knobs controlling more than one active DSP parameter?

I might be pushing the 1000V a bit beyond its limits here, or I've missed something in the setting up of the Knobs. Here's what I've done and what I'm trying to do:

I've made a registration of two different Tones as a layer - U1 and U2. For each layer, I've applied the same DSP effect - 19. LFO WAH.  I can set the parameters in the DSP LFO WAH for each layer to be identical, so that both Tones "sweep" in unison when played together.

What I'd like to do, is assign real time control of both layer's parameters to the K1/ K2/ K3 knobs. I've done this for one layer and can now manually adjust the "Manual", "Rate" and "Depth" settings in real time for the U1 layer. But I can't find a way of assigning the knobs so that they affect the DSPs for BOTH U1 and U2 simultaneously. In short, I want to use the knobs to affect the same DSP parameters in each U1 and U2 layer so that the parameter changes are synced, i.e. when I change the rate Knob it will change the rate setting for both active DSPs in each layer.

Is this possible?

I believe so.

If I go to MENU> KNOB, I can set UP PER  1 as K1: - 24:M1 Manual. But when I go to UP PER 2 and set the K1 for 24: M1 Manual as well, it seems to set it for this parameter, but if I then press UP PER 1 to confirm that it is still set to 24: M1 Manual (it is), and then go back to UP PER 2, UP PER to has now changed back to 25: M1 RATE. That was the default setting for K2 if I set K1 to 24: M1 Manual.

It seems that you can't assign the same DSP parameter to the same KNOB, even if the DSPs are applied to separate Tones on separate Layers?

Or am I not correct in thinking that I am applying two separate DSPs to two different Tones? Each incidence of the LFO WAH can be set to react differently, and the K1/2/3 controls can change the parameters for one layer but not both simultaneously. I've looked through the User Guide but can't see anything that covers this. If only there was a way to assign ONE DSP to both Layers!

Well I tried it.  I think that setup is causing a conflict with DSP, since it's using two 2 different DSP channels, but exactly the same DSP algorithm and targeting exactly the same parameter on each channel.  1 knob can control upper 1 and 2 with many other targets, but not for exactly the same DSP parameters.  

Yes, that's kind of looking to be the issue, though that's a shame. I'd be more than happy to have an option to use just one DSP for both U1 and U2 Layers, and that would solve the apparent conflict. But though it's very powerful to be able to allocate DSPs independently to each Tone when layered, not being able to sync them is a hindrance when it comes to real time manipulation in a performance.

I should mention that what I am actually trying to do is find a work around for the main global Filter not having anything other than real time manual controls available. An LFO would have been so useful to automatically sweep its parameters, but alas, the S1000V doesn't have that. Therefore I tried the trick of using the LFO WAH DSP, as a WAH effect is basically a filter and has options for adjusting resonance, depth and cut-off (aka "manual"), just a like a Low Pass/ High Pass filter. And though it works great when using a single Tone/ Layer, and the LFOs  in two separate LFO WAH DSPs can be be identically set to work equally on each Tone in a dual Layer, real time adjustment of the WAH parameters via the K knobs can only be applied to ONE of the WAH DSPs WAH parameters in use, not both simultaneously. I guess as well is that I'm trying to use the U1 and U2 Layers to make a kind of classic "Dual Oscillator" type synth, where these would then feed both oscillators into a global filter and amp section. 

If a firmware update could solve this predicament, I could propose a couple of things I'd like to see added:

1. Add an assignable LFO option to the global filter, that could be routed to cut-off and/ or depth.

2. Allow two separate Tones in a U1 and U2 Layer to share a single ACT DSP.

3. Have an option for parameters in two separate DSPs concurrently in use to be synced/ locked together.

Wishful thinking I suppose, but you never know!