Video Files on Forum ×

CDP-S360 Specs - kinda vague?

Piano Tone

So the upgrade to the CDP-S350 has been announced; double the polyphony is nice, but a couple questions I can't seem to find answers for on any Casio sites:

1) Is the action the same as the PX-S1100?   The site says the PX-S1100 is "Smart Scaled Hammer Action", and the CDP-S360 is "Smart Scaled Hammer Action Ⅱ" 

2) What is the sound source for the CDP-S360?  Is it the AiR chip?

The action on the CDP-S models is very close to the action on the PX-S models, but they are not identical. Mechanically I can't tell much of a difference between the two (and I've played both the PX-S1000/S1100 and CDP-S350/S360 several times), but the PX-S models provide a better piano playing experience in terms of the software side of things. They have more velocity/touch response curves to choose from, they have access to the Acoustic Simulator features for more accurate reproduction of acoustic piano tones and the keys transmit high-resolution velocity output for virtual instruments that support it.

The CDP-S360 uses the AiX sound source and sample set, although this is not advertised. It is more or less just a CT-X800 with better polyphony in an 88-key form factor, but with a few extra DSP variations on preset tones pulled from the CT-X3000 and X5000. Not comparable to the acoustic piano sounds of the AiR engine Privias, although it does sound very very good.

In terms of sequencer, accompaniment voices, User Rhythms and extra accoutrement, the CDP-S360 offers more. But if you're primarily looking for piano sounds and you're persnickety about feel and timbre of your acoustic piano patches, the PX-S1100 would be better suited to your needs.

• Like 3

Thanks!  I actually recently bought an 1100 and I love the action and the piano sounds (and the 1/4" line outs), I never bother with the acoustic simulator; I'm just salivating over the better user interface with menu (Chordana Play is ok but crazy laggy), the audio in jack is still there (I'm not a BlueTooth fan), and the built in rhythms for practice (I'm using various apps for that, but built in would be nice).  I'd love to try one of these out, no stores where I am have them in yet.  The 3100 solves alot of those but I saw the price in my area and it's a couple hundred $ more than the 3000 was (and the menu on the CDP is way nicer).

I'm never satisfied, I know . . . ;)  

Thanks for the help!

• 5 months later...

S360 is more of less similar to the S350

In the meantime, I would love to see something equivalent to PX-360 and CGP-700 to return, maybe in the form of next-gen CDP-S (and PX-S as well). 

The 16-track MIDI recorder on those two models was a killer feature, the only time that 16-track recorder was made available outside the Pro or High-Grade instruments