Video Files on Forum ×

Doctor Who (Main Theme) - Ron Grainer & Delia Derbyshire

I have honestly never watched a Dr. Who episode.  I can't get past the trashcan looking robots and the cheesy sets, Ha.  However, I do like the ethereal theme music.  I found a good piano score from Musicnotes.com.  I used the Casio PX560 merely as a midi controller for this one (keys & pitchwheel inputs) using Reaper DAW along with Omnisphere 2 synth voices (newbie to both programs).  Pretty impressive sounds on the original 1963 version without traditional instruments and lots of adhesive tape.  I've attached the very interesting "making of" video:    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsRuhCflRyg 

Edited by Tsquare
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the kind compliment M10538!  The original "making of" clip for Dr. Who reminds me of when producer George Martin sticky taped  random bits of cut audio tape to make the whirling circus organ sounds in "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite"  (among others) with the Beatles.  Amazing sounds from an analog source. 

Nice... The bass nots are really good to listen. It's probably the Synth Strings with a little bit decreased Attack Time?

The video of youtube is really knowledgeable for me that how the music was recorded before 🙂

Now it's very easy to record every music with one clicking or few clicking options...

• Like 1

Thanks for the response Akshanash.  The bass is Omnisphere Moog Square and the pitchwheel main tune is Omnisphere Square Lead.  I have background strings playing chunky chords which is Omnisphere JP-8 String Machine.  Of course, the PX560 can replicate all these quite well.  However, this project was my first dive into Reaper and Omnisphere.

• Like 1