Video Files on Forum ×

My experience with the "no media" error.

dc2k

GEqdiLn.jpg

I got this 'no media error' the other day and saw Mike's sticky on the issue.

It wasn't happening every time I turned the PX5s on but more times than not. 
I thought it might a PC issue as I'm connected via usb. Windows updated recently. 
I plugged the usb cable out but it didn't solve the problem. 
My USB key wasn't plugged in either.

I followed Mike's instructions and downloaded the 1.3 firmware, stuck it on my usb key, put it into the keyboard and turned it on. 
It briefly flashed the usual "no media" error but then it said "don't touch, updating".  

After several minutes, I checked the keyboard and it seemed to have worked. 
Unusually though, instead of keyboard loading the 0-0 stage setting like it usually does when you turn it on, it had loaded 1-4 (a custom one).
This is a stage setting I've been using a lot. It was probably the last stage setting I used. 

Recently I used the onboard audio recorder to record two tracks to my USB key using this stage setting.

I was playing one for so long (maybe around 20 minutes I think, perhaps longer) that the PX5S stopped the recording and told me I'd reached the limit of what it could record as one track. I'd never done this before. 

Mike was saying he couldn't recreate the glitch so I thought I'd mention these things because they perhaps have something to do with it.

EDIT: autoresume was switched to on. not sure if the firmware reload did that or if I had changed the settings.
So that's why stage setting 1-4 loaded.

Edited by dc2k

Have you tried a few other USB thumb drives, does the same thing happen with others, could be as simple as bad contacts in the USB port? There are unfortunately many counterfeit thumb drives in the marketplace-I have several posts here regarding my experiences with a few of those-that report false amounts of storage, have a defective internal chips, but use firmware to disguise the true specs. Sadly, many of the new and newer Chinese "smartphone" are suffering the same fate-8GB of RAM turn out to be...1GB. Android 10 turns out to be ...Android 5. Octacore CPUs end up being quad-core older or worse.

I'd suspect the drive as much as anything. Sandisk, Kingston, all the majors are being duplicated fraudulently. Especially suspect-the "no-name" Chinese brand thumb dives, even the logos get counterfeited. i speak from experience.

29 minutes ago, Jokeyman123 said:

Have you tried a few other USB thumb drives, does the same thing happen with others, could be as simple as bad contacts in the USB port? There are unfortunately many counterfeit thumb drives in the marketplace-I have several posts here regarding my experiences with a few of those-that report false amounts of storage, have a defective internal chips, but use firmware to disguise the true specs. Sadly, many of the new and newer Chinese "smartphone" are suffering the same fate-8GB of RAM turn out to be...1GB. Android 10 turns out to be ...Android 5. Octacore CPUs end up being quad-core older or worse.

I'd suspect the drive as much as anything. Sandisk, Kingston, all the majors are being duplicated fraudulently. Especially suspect-the "no-name" Chinese brand thumb dives, even the logos get counterfeited. i speak from experience.

The problem seems fixed and I'm not that interested in unfixing it 😁
just wanted to suggest some possible causes.
it's a 32GB sandisc drive I was using. don't think it's counterfeit. 
It's possible that using the drive had something to do with the error. I don't use it often. 
But like I said, the last time I used the audio recorder function, I maxed the PX5s' capacity to record one track.
did that cause the glitch, I don't know. 
maybe if it happens to someone else they might see similarities. 

• 1 year later...

This recently happened to me (the no media error).  I didn't seem to be able to fix it using MIke's suggestion - at first!

After going through several thumb drives (new and old), the solution that consistently worked was using a new 8GB (no larger) thumb drive (see Jokeyman123's cuations above).  Worked like a charm.

I did some experimenting and although I can't say for sure, the No Media error seems to have been caused by leaving a thumb drive in the PX-5s all the time (24-7).  Over-time, the thumb drive looses its integrity and becomes corrupted little by little.  Since the PX-5s looks to the thumb-drive on boot up, to see if there is any bootable software or flash updates, it's likely that the corruption on the drive finds its way into the PX-5s memory - so even removing the "bad" drive doesn't solve the issue.  You have to do the reinstall.

To me, I would say:

1. Use Mike's suggestion on a brand new 8gb Flash drive to reset the latest OS. 

2. Do not leave a USB drive in the PX-5s 24-7

3. If not trying to reload the OS or anything, only put the drive into the PX-5s after you have turned it on and it has booted fully.  I went through the Basic Guide and the Tutorial and I've only found reference to the USB flash drive being inserted after the PX-5s is already on for regular saving, loading and play-back operations

4. It's risky to remove USB drives  from electronic devices while the device is still on.  Sometimes the device retains open file paths to the drive which can be corrupted upon removal.  I don't know if this is the case with the PX-5s, but to err on the side of caution, I would only remove the drive when the PX-5s is powered off.