Video Files on Forum ×

Casio HT3000 - Beverly Hills Cop - Axel F (1984) by H. Faltermeyer

I know, I know... but I could not resist :)

Hi CMF! here is my rendition of the iconic "Axel F" theme by H. Faltermeyer from the 1984 movie "Beverly Hills Cop".

All sounds and drums are by the CASIO HT3000 with no mods or external effects, although some tracks are doubled (and tripled!) to give more body to the sound and imitate the effects.

I also had to tweak the original bass line due to the limited low range of the Ht3000; otherwise the transcription is as faithful as I could manage.

Hope you enjoy and thanks for listening!

• Love 6

@Tsquare

Thanks!

obviously the HT3000 cannot compete with such beasts, but it is quite versatile and easy to program. And using a DAW for recording helps a lot...Sure sometimes it takes a while to find the right combination of parameters, but most of the times you can come quite close to the sound you are after. For me, it's a kind of magic! :)

Impressive work, nice job!

Even more impressive considering that for the original recording, Harold Faltermeyer used a bunch of high end synths - Moog Modular = bass, Roland Jupiter 8 = lead, Yamaha DX7 = bells & marimba, Roland JX-3P = stabs. And you did it entirely with a "home keyboard" released barely 3 years after the original recording!

Plus I've always loved Axel F, a great synthpop song. 

Edited by Chas
  • Thanks 1

@ChasThanks! Yes, the original setup is really intimidating!

Anyway the HT3000 has 32 very varied waveforms so there is always something to work with; and actually, contrary to what I expected I have used sawtooth only on the brass stabs patch!

Edited by giano

• 5 months later...

@Just AlexThanks!

Wikipedia states the original patch is based on the "supersaw" of the Roland Jupiter 8... quite a  challenge to replicate :)

FYI my approximation on the HT3000 used waveform 11 (triangle + 6% pulse), middle cutoff and a little resonance as rudimentary HP filter... and then I have detuned three of them!

Looking forward to hear your sounds!

Edited by giano