Video Files on Forum ×

Integration with external gear

sr_cricri

Hi, I have a px-560m and I love it. But, I would like more control over rythms and samples. I don't like to stand in front of the computer when playing, so I am thinking about buying an external sequencer/sampler (novation tracks is under my consideration). Has someone experience with the integration with external gear? Is it possible to sync the sequencers, the internal one and the external? And about midi controllers? Can someone share experience with this kind of setup?

• Like 1

The PX560 does not have a midi clock-so you will not be able to auto-sync different devices together. So a sequencer would not drive the PX560 rhythms, midi songs etc. nor would you be able to trigger the PX560 with an external sequencer or other midi clock device, a bit of a limitation for multi-midi setups like mine.

I have found though that-depending upon external gear-I am able to"manually" sync 2 different midi devices, the internal clocks are accurate enough to hold the tempo settings say for example between my Yamaha QY100 and the PX560 sequencer and for at least 10 minutes-I've experimented and this worked.  But if you wish to trigger start/stop or song position pointer triggers from an external sequencer, or vice-versa, no. You will have to use the PX560 hardware controls to start/stop recorded song/midi tracks or auto-arranger rhythms. You can use an external pedal to trigger start stop messages for the PX560 song recorder and or midi/song tracks. 

As far as controller functions-i have been able to control certain mixer functions with external gear, in a limited way. Mixer levels, DSP send levels, pan can all be controlled through external software and hardware as can program and bank change of course. There are other programmable functions that can be implemented this way. These are the things I have found to work so far. Look at the midi imp. chart-there are many CC messages the PX560 can send or receive.

• Like 2

Ah, thank you Jokeyman! That was very helpful.

Hmmm, one last question: I have been playing with the midi in/out, controlling the px560 with the computer daw (cakewalk). I don't undestand very well how this works. I can control only one general midi out in cakewalk. I would like for example to control rythms drums, bass, etc... in the px560, all in the same time  It seems to me that the chart you mentioned says I have to adress the channell A-10. But I can't do it in cakewalk. Maybe there is something I didn't understood in cakewalk.

But Is this possible? (meaning: to control more than one instrument with my daw or a controller). Right?

Sorry, I am new to this midi stuff.

• 4 months later...

The PX560 will respond to program-and bank-changes the same way, regardless of what registration you load. Changing registrations is not connected to program changes, program changes work independently of registrations-nor can you change registrations with specific program changes, if that's what you are describing. What you can do, and I'm not sure I'm answering your question-is use program changes from external software-or another keyboard controller or hardware sequencer-to change each individual tone in whatever registration you select. And to do this, you need to know which midi channel each of your 4 tones-on your main screen-are hard wired to-and then you send the program change for each individual channel-the 4 tones you hve chosen in your registration. A registration will not save prgram changes from external software-it is already saving your 4 tone configuation-but your program changes are an entirely separate process.

For example-upper 1 and upper 2 tones are an electric piano and string tone. Lower 1 and lower 2 are a brass tone and a pad tone. Each of those now store as a registration. Once you do that, you can remotely change each or all of those 4 tones with a software or hardware external controller. Look at page A-5 in the PX560 manual to see which midi channels are assigned-hardwired-to each of those 4 tones in your main screen when you have called up a registration. If you set your software or hardware controller to each of those midi channels, and its corresponding program change-then you can remotely do what you would do anyway-by saving a particular registration.

Again, I'm not sure if I'm answering your question, but the short answer repeating myself-the PX560 will always respond to program changes the same way, regardless of what registration you choose, but you have to follow the chart on page A-5 in the manual to see how the 560 hard-wires its midi channel assignments and based upon what "mode" you are in if you wish to switch individual tones whether in a registration or not. And you cannot switch registrations using program changes as far as I can see in the midi implementation chart. Would be nice, but that function does not look to be possible.