Video Files on Forum ×

PX-S3100 questions about recording.

JackRose

Hey all. 

I have a PX-S1000 and it's terrible for recording. I have this hiss issue that I've not been able to fix, and one of the biggest bugs is that the volume gain control is literally the volume knob! So if you want to be able to have loud gain, yet you don't want the piano super loud...you can't do it. 

Does the S3100 eliminate this issue? So when I record with it, will the volume it comes out determine the volume of the final track? And how does it deal with compression in terms of softer notes not being as loud...or would I have to manually change that in software?

Thanks!

Can you share your recording setup?  Patch cables, audio interface, software, any other hardware, etc?  It sounds like some configuration issues may be the only problem. 

The main volume knob is the output gain control on most, if not all keyboards.  The internal speakers can be disabled with a headphone jack inserted into the keyboard.  Line outputs will continue to work for recording audio.  Like this, the main volume knob becomes your gain control for recording, but not for monitoring. Monitoring from the recording setup rather than directly from the keyboard allows you to have separate monitor gains.  

As far as dynamic range (compression), I'm not sure I follow the question.  Are you asking for a way to limit dynamic range within the keyboard itself?  Typically when recording, we don't want to limit the recorded dynamic range in a raw track.  That's usually done when mixing and mastering the project with software.