Video Files on Forum ×

hexlayer tone in a song sequence?

Jay C
Go to solution Solved by Brad Saucier,

Ok. So I have this phrase recorded on the PX-5S that was made for a particular hex layer tone I made.

I want to playback the phrase as a part of a song sequence where:

track1 is the phrase for the hex layer tone

and

track2 plays another phrase consisting of a drum pattern. 

Now, in the song mixer I can tell the PX-5s which instrument or tone I want to use for a particular track.

I succeeded in picking a drum set for the drum phrase. 

However, I can't select the said hex layer tone as my tone for the phrase in track1.

I consulted the tutorial manual for the PX-5S and according to it, in its tone list, (page E-45),

the program change number for user hex layer tones 050-127 is 50-127, while the Bank Select MSB Value is 97

For hex layer tones 128-199 the program change number is 0-71 and the Bank select MSB value is 98.

I tried to dial in the corresponding program change number with Bank Select MSB set to 97 and 98 - but I don't see my hexlayer tone as a selected tone.

Any suggestions? Help is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Jay 🎹

• Solution

The same rules still apply to hex layer tones in the song sequencer as stage settings do.  The PX-5S is a 16 part multi-timbral instrument, and only parts 1 and 2 (zones 1 and 2) can handle hex layer tones.  You need to edit the song, go to the song mixer and channel the output channel to 1 or 2 for each track you want using a hex layer tone. 

Another note, if you happen to create a user drum tone in the future, user drums will only work on channel 1.  

• Thanks 1