Video Files on Forum ×

Casiotone MT-70-one key lifts off-help needed

Siberialina

Dear fellow casiophiles. You helped me before, please help me again. I bought a vintage Casiotone MT-70 and while cleaning it, I found that one key lifts up(see the photo). It is B bang in the middle of the keyboard, so I wonder whether it's not a bug but a feature, a place where two bits of keyboard were mounted together. The key plays and otherwise behaves normally, but I wonder whether I could fix it. I tried to press it really hard to see whether something would click back in place, but nothing did. Is it fixable at all? Thank you for your wisdom!

casio.jpg

Edited by Siberialina
better photo

The key has a hook on the one side of it and the hook is broken. You can open the unit up and find the broken piece of plastic and then carefully remove the offending key, by putting a little pressure on the pivot end of the key in a downward motion while carefully pulling the key up and forward slowly carefully so as to not break the key or the internal plastics of the keybed. You will see a narrow plastic peg sticking out of the one side of the key and that is the hook. The bottom of that hook will be the broken plastic piece you find in the keyboard rattling around. Look carefully at how it broke off and with a dab of crazy glue and tweezers, put the hook bottom back on that hook stem or peg.

CasioPianoKeys.jpg

• Love 1

• 4 weeks later...

I used a piece of sturdy insulated copper wire to replace that broken hook if missing, and hotglued it under the key.

If the plastic hook can be found inside the case, it can be superglued back into place. I recommend to remove the keys assembly for this or at least leave the case open for 8 hours, because superglue vapours may permanently discolour transparent parts of the LCD white if they can not escape.