Video Files on Forum ×

assigning MIDI channels in the S-3000

Lopato

I'm new to sequencing MIDI using my Privia S-3000 as a sound source. I have a Pro Tools file open on my Mac and have assigned an electric piano patch but keep hearing the grand piano patch when I play my sequence in PT. Before, for some reason, I was getting the e. piano patch, but not now. I can't figure out how to assign a particular MIDI channel to that patch.

MIDI input has it's own sound generator (part group) on the PX-S3000.  This means the "live" keyboard sounds you hear when you play the keys is not the sounds MIDI is controlling. 

One simple trick you can do is, start recording a MIDI track in your DAW before selecting your tone on the S3000.  You could reserve measure 1 for this.  The S3000 will send tone patch data to be recorded within your track.  On playback, the recording will recall the correct tone.  

Another option is using a patch script for Pro Tools.  I'm not familiar with Pro Tools, so I can't speak on how this should be installed, but the file for it is available on Casio support website here

That trick worked! Thanks much! 

2 follow-up questions: is the S-3000 multitimbral, and if so, how would I assign different patches to different MIDI channels?

Also, when I tried to play a PT MIDI track through the synth and bounce the track with the assigned patch to an audio file in PT, there was a fair amount of noise in the signal. I came out of the 1/4" L and R outs in the back of the synth. Is there a better alternative, like through the stereo headphone out? I assume that would be far worse.

46 minutes ago, Lopato said:

is the S-3000 multitimbral, and if so, how would I assign different patches to different MIDI channels?

The MIDI input is 16 part multi-timbral.  Each track you want a new tone for will need to transmit on a new channel, up to 16 channels.  Just repeat the process of recording your tone selection on the next new track, with a new MIDI channel.   

46 minutes ago, Lopato said:

Is there a better alternative, like through the stereo headphone out?

Both outputs are of equal sound quality.  It sounds like something in your setup is adding noise.  It should be a clean signal.  

The PX-S3000 can record digital audio directly to a USB flash drive connected to the USB port on the piano.  That would deliver your absolute best quality.  

This may seem really stupid, and pardon me if it is, but re: "record digital audio directly to a USB flash drive connected to the USB port", does it matter which of the two USB ports? And how am I recording it onto the drive? Does the S-3000 export the data as some kind of audio file or am I using some software I install onto the flash drive to record the outputted data?