Video Files on Forum ×

How does the WAV recording volume on the PX-S1100 work?

JackRose

So I'm thinking of upgrading from my S1000 due to a fuzz that's apparent on all my recordings, as well as the volume being awkward as the only gain available is using the volume dial..

Is it the same on the upgraded one? Or is there a separate gain control? The issue is, I want to record directly on the piano, without clipping, and how will I know this without separate controls? I also don't want to play at full volume, without headphones, and yet want the track loud enough.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, JackRose said:

So I'm thinking of upgrading from my S1000 due to a fuzz that's apparent on all my recordings, as well as the volume being awkward as the only gain available is using the volume dial..

You should not be experiencing noise.  List everything that is connected to the instrument, equipment and cable types, perhaps we can identify the problem.  Attach an audio clip of a noisy recording if you can.  Something external is likely the cause of your noise.  

2 hours ago, JackRose said:

Is it the same on the upgraded one? Or is there a separate gain control? The issue is, I want to record directly on the piano, without clipping, and how will I know this without separate controls? I also don't want to play at full volume, without headphones, and yet want the track loud enough.

On all Casio models with internal audio recorders (like the PX-S1100), the main volume knob does not affect internal audio recording level.  It can be set to any comfortable level, even muted, and still work.  The internal recording level is preset with generous headroom.  It can record wide dynamic range without clipping, from very soft notes to very loud crescendos with complex layered sounds.  If you want to normalize the final WAV recording to maximize loudness, typically most users will edit the file with software like Audacity to do that.