Video Files on Forum ×

Difference between MY SETUP and REGISTRATIONS?

Both MY SETUP and Registrations allow you to save and recall a setup.

Are the only differences between these two how they are accessed?

--MY SETUP can be set to the default settings for power-on.

--Otherwise, MY SETUP settings are pretty deep in a menu to find and load

--Registrations can be easily accessed "live" via the dedicated Registration button.

--Registrations cannot be set to be auto-loaded on power-on.

Well, the other thing is that the list of settings loaded by MY SETUP seems to be longer?  54 bullet points, vs only 30 something for Registrations.  I haven't gone through these lists to compare yet.... but maybe MY SETUP is more powerful in terms of what it can save/recall?  Has anyone run into any limitations of Registrations?

Your keyboard is basically comprised of system settings and performance settings.  Registrations store performance based settings.  My Setup stores system settings.  System settings are things like master tuning, scale, speaker settings, etc.  My Setup is there in case you want something that stores various system setups.  

• Like 1

As Brad says, My Setup is used if you need specific system and keyboard configuration settings to be loaded on start up.

Registrations are used to recall tones, rhythms, performance layouts (i.e. layers and keyboard splits) etc. and anything related to those. 

Think of My Setup being for how you want the keyboard to respond when playing, and Registrations being for what sound(s) you want it to play for a specific song.

• 1 month later...

Some other differences... Setups can be named, Registrations cannot. And I believe Setups can include MIDI parameters wheil Registrations cannot. So if you want a button you can press whenever you want to play a particular sound from an attached iPad/iPhone app or whatever, I think you have to do that with a Setup, not a Registration.

• 5 weeks later...

It’s mostly Greek to me- I’ve seen LSB and MSB before and know they’re addresses to tell the external synth/program what to do, I suppose for program changes and for the mod knobs.

But reading thru the manual a few times I still don’t get the ins/outs of how to use the MIDI Control mode.  It’d be super helpful to have a tutorial of typical ways to use this mode, I would bet that most users on this forum would benefit from that, that they also are scratching their bald heads and wondering, huh?

Instead of MIDI CONTROL, so far I’ve resorted to turning LOCAL ON to off, and Neo-Soul Keys Studio 2 responds to the knobs with MIDI LEARN.  I’m not going to a DAW, my primary use is to get instrument sounds from my IPad.  

As AS noticed, I see that MIDI CONTROL mode doesn’t save to Registrations, so how are you supposed to save your settings?  It’s usefulness is considerably lessened if it’s only a real-time operation, given all the things you have to setup.

And I agree with AS, about building in flexibility, that you can’t play internal sounds at the same time seems a shame.  Perhaps with the knobs assigned to internal and external sounds that’d be a graceful way of independently controlling the volume of the S500 and the external source.

On 2/6/2023 at 10:08 PM, Rudolph R-N R said:

It’s mostly Greek to me- I’ve seen LSB and MSB before and know they’re addresses to tell the external synth/program what to do, I suppose for program changes and for the mod knobs.

In this context, MSB and LSB are bank change commands, typically used if the thing you're trying to control has more than 128 Programs. If the thing you're trying to control has 128 or fewer programs, then usually you wouldn't use the MSB/LSB parameters. If they are needed, you should be able to find them on the same page of the documentation that has the program change numbers themselves. Basically, a bank of MIDI Programs can't exceed 128, so if there are more than 128 Programs in the device you're controlling, you need to add one of both of those other commands to tell it which bank (of up to 128) it should use.

On 2/6/2023 at 10:08 PM, Rudolph R-N R said:

As AS noticed, I see that MIDI CONTROL mode doesn’t save to Registrations, so how are you supposed to save your settings?  It’s usefulness is considerably lessened if it’s only a real-time operation, given all the things you have to setup.

You can save 64 Registrations but also 4 Setups. It looks like some of the MIDI parameters can be saved in a Setup, though not in a Registration. Setups save more data than Registrations do, and you can even name them. But there are only 4 of them (1 of which is the one that is automatically loaded when you turn the keyboard on). and you have to navigate more to change them than you do to change Registrations (for which there is a dedicated front panel button). So a setup can store the Local Off status you want, and/or it can store a program change to send to an external module. I haven't played with any of this yet, though.

The manual is confusing here, because the section starting on p.106 is "Saving and Recalling a Setup" (for addressing the 4 setups), while the section starting on p.136 is "Saving and Recalling Setups (Registrations)" (for addressing the 64 registrations), and they continue to use the word Setup repeatedly in that section. They really shouldn't have used the word "setup" in that section, because Setups are really something else, as discussed in the earlier section. Using the same word for two completely different things is bound to cause some head-scratching.