Video Files on Forum ×

Upgrades/changes to sounds from CT-X5000 to CT-S500?

Hey everyone- just received my CT-S500!  

I heard there were new sounds as well as old sounds that have been upgraded compared to the CT-X5000.

Does anyone know what sounds have been added compared to the X5000?  Which sounds have been upgraded or changed? I did a cursory sweep of the topics and didn’t find anything.

This would be very useful as I’m somewhat familiar with the X5000 sounds, esp the bread and butter sounds, but I don’t have a photographic memory.  I’d love to go directly to these new-to-me sounds on the S500 and audition, otherwise it’s a big confusing jumble of sounds to evaluate, esp since 90 to 95% of the sounds are the same as the X5000.

Thanks!

Randy the Rudolph R-N-R 

Edited by Rudolph R-N R

Thanks Brad, I’ll check them out.

I was hoping there’d be new EPiano sounds, I found them to be lacking with the CT-X5000 as well.  I suppose though that there are User Registrations of EPs that improve upon the factory sounds?  I noticed the new Electric Grand Piano sounds, and while it’s normally not my cup of tea, I thought they sounded very good.  

From the manual, page 270: “Advanced Tones: when 64 is received, the reverb, delay and chorus types change to match the tone.”

? 64 refers to the velocity level?  What are they talking about?  

Advanced Layer Tones: neat trick!

So I take it that there’s no Music Presets like the CT-X5000 has, the 310 chord presets.  Anything similar on the S500, like being able to create the backing chords to songs so you can solo on top without having to play the chords?

Thanks!

I forgot to mention the advanced layer tones.  No music presets are available unfortunately.  As an alternative, you can probably use the easy recording mode to record a track of accompaniment with chord progressions.

17 minutes ago, Rudolph R-N R said:

From the manual, page 270: “Advanced Tones: when 64 is received, the reverb, delay and chorus types change to match the tone.”

? 64 refers to the velocity level?  What are they talking about?

This involves using the keyboard as MIDI sound source, using bank and program change data to select tones.  

On 1/28/2023 at 11:35 PM, Rudolph R-N R said:

Does anyone know what sounds have been added compared to the X5000?  Which sounds have been upgraded or changed?

I don't have the answer, but I know that a number of the sounds of the CT-S1 were new to that model, and that those sounds were then brought into the CT-S500. So if you look at the sound list for CT-S1, those would be the ones to check, to see if the similarly-named sounds are better on the CT-S500 than they were on your older model. It's not an overwhelming number of sounds to check, there are only a total of 61 sound on the CT-S1 to begin with.

On 1/29/2023 at 6:19 PM, Rudolph R-N R said:

I suppose though that there are User Registrations of EPs that improve upon the factory sounds?

I wouldn't count on it. You can save modified versions of sounds as registrations, but it's pretty limited in what you can change, i.e. things like effects and EQ,  but no "deep" changes. It's not like on some other Casios where you can get in and tweak different component elements of the sound. I think the EPs on the CT-S500 are pretty good, though. I'm not familiar with the ones on the X5000.